Finds in Thrift Shops or Local Dump

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
This was todays find, from the same place (I go every saturday): Griswold breakfast skillet #666. (ooh, spooky). I went on ebay and looking at finished auctions one went for $90... not as great as the book, and I'll need to clean and season it, but I'll take it! If you happen to look up these same listings, note the difference in the size of the logos... the large logo one goes for more (apparently). ---I've loved hearing of others' finds too (ALL of 'em!) Keep 'em coming!

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,579
  • pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,544

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love these kinds of threads.For me,nothing great,but a lot of little finds.The last thing I found in a thrift store was a copy of Johnny Cash's "The Man in Black" from '73 written by him.Cost 50 cents,it sold for $26 and change on Ebay,a few months back.I found a McCormick whiskey porcelain decanter in the form of "Elvis Presley" still sealed and full,paid $5 for it.The wife confiscated it,she collects Elvis junk.
I still have a lot of "stuff" to get rid of,just can't find the time to list it all, vintage cookie jars,florida tourist pottery from the 40's,old "Life" mags,occupied Japan items,old lighters,paperweights,bakelite utensils,old postcards,some older 1st edition books,collector plates,pocketknives,sports memo. and too many other things to list.Most of the stuff we find we get for a dollar or two and it usually sells for $10-20 or more so I don't do too bad when I do sell stuff.My best finds have come from the curb (or dumpster) in years past,the wife's family owns a small sanitation company in Miami and I used to help out every now and then.
They are fixing to open a huge new Salvation Army down the road a piece, on the 21st of this month,workers from the other stores in the area have said that all the "good" stuff has been getting directed to the new store,I will be there when it opens,believe that!
nhbenz-way to go on that book! I'll keep an eye out for some of those 70's-80's rock band t-shirts,do they have to be "concert" shirts to sell for that much or just vintage? So many things to look for,so little time! If I thought I could make a living at it,I would do it full time,but i'd probably starve to death in the process! It is fun searching though.Good luck on your varied and profitable hunts and searches!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
SWEET! Baddog, I wouldn't have paid a buck for that if I saw it at a yard sale! (I would have lost out!!!). Diggummup, just so long as they're vintage rock t-shirts there's a demand... there seems to be a big value drop in anything made past 1988. (as a general rule, and I'm no expert). Cool graphics are always good. By the way, I think you win the prize, having found a gal who accepts dumpster-diving!!! :)

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
nhbenz said:
By the way, I think you win the prize, having found a gal who accepts dumpster-diving!!! :)
I found one of those, too! They're pretty rare, and are definitely keepers! (especially if they come with the "accessory package"- an early 1800's farm with tons of old stuff stashed away!)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RatRacer said:
nhbenz said:
By the way, I think you win the prize, having found a gal who accepts dumpster-diving!!! :)
I found one of those, too! They're pretty rare, and are definitely keepers! (especially if they come with the "accessory package"- an early 1800's farm with tons of old stuff stashed away!)
Nope,looks like RatRacer got me with the "accesories package"! :)

T

TreasureTales

That is a very nice Griswald griddle. The large logo and additional wording is great! A few years ago when the Griswald craze was hot, I bought a large logo Griswald fry pan for $2.00. I use it almost everyday in my own kitchen. Seasoned properly, they are nearly as non-stick as teflon.

T

tarnished1

hello everyone, i love thrift shops and flea markets! i have made a few great finds.( back in june of 2006) i went to unique thrift store on the northside of chicago and purchased 2 art prints.1 by charles vickery titled sunlight and surf #185 of 200 and 1 by montahue dawson titled the tall ship-clipper kiaser both printed in 1969. i later did a seach on the internet ,contacted a art gallery and they sent me information about charles vickery, who is considerd by many to be the greatest marine artist to come out of america. in 1990 sunlight and surf was valued at 1800+..he died in 1998.the montehue dawson print is over 1800+... he died in 1972 both prints have pencil signatures,monograms and info about the printing companys.

T

tarnished1

i paid $5.00 for the charles vickery print and $7.00 for the montehue dawson print both had the glass broken in the frame.

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at the Thrift Shop, I found a matching set of original Vietnam era tigerstripe camo fatigues

same type John Wayne wore in the movie "The GREEN BERETS"

they were selling it with the Halloween costumes for $5.00

D

dexter200161054

I'm interested in just thrift shopping and metal detecting, but the amount of both together seems endless.
I'd like to thrift shop, because I know that most, if not all shrift shops, have great finds.

I'm glad others are doing good, and we even have a thrift store at a town of around 3000 =).

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt in any junk shop I can find, I tend to stay away from Goodwill. I have found some nice things at high-end resale shops in my area, I even check pockets and find stuff in the coat section all the time. My most recent best find came from an upscale antique shop and surprised me. I collect a depression era glass called Jadite (pale milky green) and spotted a matched pair of lamps that were about two foot tall each. I guess the owners didn't know what they were because I secured them for 26.00 each. Sold them on ebay last month for over 400! Paid a bill with that one. ;D

T

talltexan

A FRIEND OF MINE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO BOUGHT A JACKET FOR HER HUSBAND (SINCE PASSED AWAY) AT A LOCAL THRIFT STORE FOR A COUPLE OF BUCKS. WHEN THE HUSBAND WAS TRYING ON THE JACKET, HE MENTIONED IT FIT FINE, BUT THAT HE FOUND A WATCH IN THE POCKET. HE SPELLED OUT THE WORDS TO HER**** R-O-L-E-X ****. THERES GOLD AND MORE IN THEM THERE RESALE SHOPS.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Cashed in over the weekend ;D I snagged a vasaline glass teaberry gum display stand for @$1.50. I looked at it on ebay one was going for 9.99 and the other was going for 25.00 Both have @ a week left so we'll see ::) Anybody know anything about this type of glass ?

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Yes it glows under a black light mucho cool 8). Never thought I'd find some of it at the good will :D

Ace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread