My very own "Rosebud"

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
My very own "Rosebud"

Many of you are probably familiar with the classic movie 'Citizen Kane'. In one of the key scenes the main character based on William Randolph Hearst --- Charles Foster Kane is on his deathbed and says: "Rosebud". No one knows what he is talking about, but the viewer remembers the sled he had as a child with that name that brought back many fond memories for him.
My "Rosebud" was found yesterday at a local thrift store for $4.00. It's a cast iron (very heavy) Uncle Sam Bank. He's standing in all his red, white and blue glory on a platform with a button in the back corner. It's spring-loaded so that when you put a coin his hand and push the button, it lowers his hand, opens his mouth and simultaneously drops the coin into a bag labled "U.S." then into the stand. Of course there's easy access to the coins deposited on the bottom in the form of a rubber plunger. :icon_king:
I had a plastic (I think) version as a very small child and it really taught me the importance of saving and thrift. Had it been one of the originals from 1886 it would be worth between $2 & $3 Grand! Mine is clearly a recent replica as was the one I owned as a child. Nonetheless, it occupies a prominent place now on one of my shelves.... :thumbsup:
All this further proves the old treasure hunter's creedo: "Anything can be anywhere."
HH
-spyguy

bronc88

Jul 1, 2008
Re: My very own "Rosebud"

Hey the Rosebud story is a good one. Every had a Rosebud if they think about it . Mine was an old car I built at 14 at my dads garage in Florida. It was made from an old surburban chevy . That was my most creative project of all time. year 1954

Attachments

• theblakester.jpg
    theblakester.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,295

Shemanese

Jun 23, 2008
Re: My very own "Rosebud"

There is actually more to the Rosebud story. Orson Welles and WRH hated each other. Seems WRH had a lover, actress Marion Davies. OW found out that WRH had a pet name for the clitoris of MD. It was Rosebud. OW used the reference as a dig on WRH. WRH was furious. He used his $ and power to sabotage the career of OW. It apparently worked. His career was in stall for a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread