Used my Ace 250 exclusively the past two months.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Ace 250, hardly used, from a friend several years ago but had never really used it as I was using my trusty old Garrett Scorpion all the time. At the beginning of February, I decided that I'd use the Ace on all of my hunts for the next several weeks and I did. I went detecting every day when the weather was nice and since we had a moderately warm February, I think I only missed about 7 days in the past two months. I was usually hunting with my detecting buddy who used his XP Deus and since, this year, I resolved to focus on finding gold, I dug every potentially gold signal that I got so he usually beat me on the shallower modern coins but I consistently beat him on the old coins, tokens, and gold (I found one 1935 lady's 20k gold and sterling class ring). I also did a lot more digging and found a lot more junk targets than he did but that's the price you pay when looking for gold, no matter what kind of detector one is using.
Attached is a photo of my best finds for February, 2018 using the Ace 250. The class ring was 6" deep. The heart pendant is marked sterling. Also shown are 2 old local trade tokens from the 1920s, a 1945-P silver war nickel, an old wheat penny, a SWAT hat or lapel pin, a silver Rosie, a one-piece flat button, a metal teddy bear compartment which is brass-colored inside and has "Charlie" engraved in it, and a fake? diamond earring.
I did much better, coin-wise, last month with the Ace 250. I haven't photographed those finds yet but they include 7 wheat cents, a 1906 V nickel, a 1901 barber dime at 8", a 1927-D that must have been dropped when it was new and is valued at between $7-$25, and an 1899 Indian Head cent.
Not bad for the least expensive detector that I own.
~Texas Jay
Central Texas Treasure Club

MD finds-Feb-early March 2018 001.JPG

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have really become one with the Ace! Really nice items you've found!

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have really become one with the Ace! Really nice items you've found!

Thank you, can_slaw. I probably have about 50 hours on it now and I'm still learning the detector. I believe Charles Garrett was right when he said that one needs to use a detector for 100 hours before he really understands it. I took it out again today and hunted the site where I found the gold class ring with it. I intended to hunt for an hour and at about 59 minutes into my hunt, after finding a neat, rusty, old forged wrench, a modern penny, and a nickel, I got a signal at 6" that wavered between a dime and a quarter. I dug down and out came a brown-colored Sacagawea dollar! After all of these years, I'm still looking for my first real silver dollar but I was happy with this one.
~Texas Jay

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the same state of joy with my finds as you are. Some hate digging wheats, and that's ok. Me for one am just happy to have time to be out, and a rusty wrench is aokay for me! Congrats on another productive hunt, and another hour closer to your 100 hour goal!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread