Out For A Cold Hunt

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bundled up and took the Apex for a short hunt Sunday. I am sure it was not as cold as John's Canadian weather, but it was OK with my three layers of clothing. I have not used the Apex enough to have a real confident feel for, but after an hour or so, I was readjusting to it's sounds. I find it really hard to use a different detector every time out. I have three now and I try to rotate them. One thing for sure, Garretts have a language all their own. I remember my first Garrett(GTAX 750) and the infamous "Bell tone". It drove me crazy at first, but I learned to like it.

Back to my hunt. I hunted a spot where I have to work hard for one measly wheat penny. I found a handful of clad coins from the surface to 5 inches deep and was thinking that one measly wheat penny would make my day. I got a signal that was bouncing and showing deeper than any targets I had dug. Without much hope, I found a small rusty fitting at about 5 inches. While checking the hole with my pinpointer, I got another signal and was happy to see a glint of silver slightly deeper. A silver war nickel a couple of inches deeper than the junk. I had new faith in the Apex and a few minutes later I found that "measly wheatie" It was a perfect 76 signal that did not waiver. It was about 6 inches deep.

All in all a decent hunt for the spot I was detecting. I have about 10 hours on the Apex and I have made some decent finds in my "pounded" spots. One other note, the Garrett wireless headphones are the best built and best sounding wireless phones I have used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread