AT Max Custom Setup

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and it works as it should. It separates better and deeper than stck coil.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and it works as it should. It separates better and deeper than stck coil.

Oh no doubt. It’s a great coil. I used my Storm coil for open fields and my Thunder for semi trashy 1850’s public park with my ATP then I got my Max......soooo I have to sell my Thunder first order the Thunder Max then sell the Storm as well (kills my arms). The sell my F75 LTD with a 13” Ultimate coil with SunRay pin pointer (which I never use) and then make up my mind on whether to get a Dues or the Equinox. Then I’m done. I hope.[emoji1317]

My Max has been hitting 3 ringers 8” with the Storm up to a foot deep+. IMG_2022.JPG

VADirtfisher

Mar 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing I want to work on next is the Threshold setting, I'm not sure that I like the constant buzz. I'm currently running it with zero threshold at the present time.
Try -3

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks VADirtisher I will try out this weekend. Going to be in Mobile Alabama this weekend, my daughter lives about 20 minutes from the beach, so if I get some time I'm going to try beach hunting with my custom settings and the -3 threshold.

Poor old tom

Mar 22, 2018
Goldendale, Wa
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO x 2 - Equinox 800x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT Max today, got it assembled, forecast says snow tomorrow. OF COURSE! Owell I will get to try it out sometime. I have printed out all of your programmed settings to try
I used to hunt a lot but been out of it for a few years. love to hunt old homestead sites and burned out cabins. Lots of trash but some really good finds sometimes. Keep this string
going. Good hunting to all

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VADirtisher I will try out this weekend. Going to be in Mobile Alabama this weekend, my daughter lives about 20 minutes from the beach, so if I get some time I'm going to try beach hunting with my custom settings and the -3 threshold.

You see I use discrimination 0, zero mod and +2 on threshold.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You see I use discrimination 0, zero mod and +2 on threshold.

Eagle button I found at a abondoned school, I first thought the school was built around 1900 but later found out it was dedicated in 1900. The eagel button from what I have found searching is that it is a Navy or Marine cuff button. It was a two piece button that had a shank on the back I can see when turned over where the back half fit into the button. It's looks like someone drilled couple small holes so it could be swen back on to the cuff. The other thing I found is that it may be Civil War era.

Found the button about 7" deep, running my custom proigram, VDI number was a strong 78.

IMG_1210.JPG

By the way I used my AT Max on the beach with the custom settings and it work very well.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eagle button I found at a abondoned school, I first thought the school was built around 1900 but later found out it was dedicated in 1900. The eagel button from what I have found searching is that it is a Navy or Marine cuff button. It was a two piece button that had a shank on the back I can see when turned over where the back half fit into the button. It's looks like someone drilled couple small holes so it could be swen back on to the cuff. The other thing I found is that it may be Civil War era.

Found the button about 7" deep, running my custom proigram, VDI number was a strong 78.

View attachment 1576831

By the way I used my AT Max on the beach with the custom settings and it work very well.

Now that is one gorgeous button with great history and character.

Motley

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2019
Austintown Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there I’m Motley I read ur post on at Max custom setup I’m new at this if I can ask 4 advise my number shows up at high 70s or in 80s yet it’s just a jar lid or other junk do u have any suggestions to what I can set my detector on I’m interested in relics or precious metals

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post got me to thinking, I have also used Pro Zero on my AT Pro and on my AT Max with disc. at zero. So, I thought I would do some air testing in custom mode set up. This is my custom mode set up----disc set at 44, Sensitivity set midpoint, notch out 40, 45, 50 & 65, threshold 1. So, with these settings I was still able to get nice low tone on a silver ring, a gold ring, and a nickel. Mid tone on penny, high tone on clad dime, silver dime, clad quarter, and sliver quarter. I was pleased with the air test, especially getting a clear low tone on the rings and the nickel. I'm going this weekend to my daughter’s home in Mobile AL I plan to get a bit of detecting in I will report how my custom settings work I plan on doing some park hunting and possibly a little beach hunting. This custom setting is with the stock coil. For me the real test is in ground coins and relics the air test is a good refrence point.

I usually run all metal mode but after reading your post I decided to give it a try because my Max is noisy. I used your settings and I had about a 1/2 hour to play with it. Wow! What a difference! It was so quiet. I found a shotgun brass at 2” and this large cent at 6”.
IMG_1803.jpg

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually run all metal mode but after reading your post I decided to give it a try because my Max is noisy. I used your settings and I had about a 1/2 hour to play with it. Wow! What a difference! It was so quiet. I found a shotgun brass at 2” and this large cent at 6”.
View attachment 1706767

That is nice find! Glad the custom settings are working for you.

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there I’m Motley I read ur post on at Max custom setup I’m new at this if I can ask 4 advise my number shows up at high 70s or in 80s yet it’s just a jar lid or other junk do u have any suggestions to what I can set my detector on I’m interested in relics or precious metals

Try switching to iron audio when you hit these and you can hear the low "grunt" of the iron. If you don't hear the "grunt" then you are likely to see copper/brass/clad dime, also aluminium in that range . just like nickles, I dig a lot of square tabs with a solid 50-52 VDI range. If you are searching relics, do your research on the area, then....dig them all...you don't know what you'll find until you pop the plug. Good Luck on your quest!

Last edited:

iamavol

Greenie
Mar 20, 2020
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 / Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my AT Max and just got back into hunting. Still trying to learn how to get it set up. It's great though...finding a LOT of pull tabs :)

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do run mine in coins mode most of the time with discrim set at 35 and it works great on rings as well, but part of it is because I did most signals that have a constant sound and when looking for coins I avoid the low grunts, would be nice to eliminate the aluminum but oh well, but when out just looking I do run it in zero mode with iron discrim set at 35 to 40 and 40, 45, 60 notched out.

Carl

gary lee

Apr 13, 2020
atascadero, CA.
Detector(s) used
garret at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really going to enjoy trying out some of these settings with my new Max. I still think I need a lot more work on my hearing the "right" noise and not just digging lots of noise. I am attacking it at the moment with the attitude of digging all the noise just to make sure I don't let anything go by. I have been using the coin mode mostly but I am looking forward to a couple trips to the mountains here in California to check some streams for a little gold. I will be using the "all metal" mode when I get there to try and pick up a couple pickers or even a nugget or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread