Gold Dust, Silver Coins & Crystallizing Petrified Wood!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
oct19b.jpg

My buddy and I headed out to a place we called called "Lock Lake".....a busy place it was in the early 1900's. We hunted the water, the beach and surrounding woods.

oct19.jpg

Here's the finds for the day. Most items were found in the woods at about 5-8 inches.

oct19c.jpg

We did manage to get 5 silver coins. The AT machines give a nice soft high tone with VDI's in the 80's, although the MAX id'd 2 of them in the high 70's. I suspect the reason being was the oxides which had formed on both silver and copper had altered their conductivity. But.....the signals soft, very stable and reading 3"+ was a reason to dig them. The conductivity was also confirmed as either silver or copper using the iron audio as a backup form of audio discrimination.

The Pulse induction detectors were were pulling items such as bobby pins and rusted bits of iron at depths of up to 14 inches. I did manage to get one coin out of the water, a 1979 clad quarter at around 8 inches. Lock lake has been hunted hard for the past 25 years, and the water is very eutrophic, to the point where nobody would even think of swimming in there today.

oct19e.jpg

By "best" day this year getting flour gold from local river's gravel bars. This was about 6 hours digging.

oct19d.jpg

And, as usual, I got some petrified wood digging for gold. What was unusual, was the amount of crystallization transforming on some of the specimens. Just beautiful!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice gold John! 6 hours of digging? My back would be broke! Great post!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys sorry I haven’t been on. I changed phones and have been real busy. I’m having some issues with my legs so haven’t been out. I am missing detecting so much so it’s nice to get on here and see how everyone is doing. Keep the finds coming.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love petrified wood I remember when I was young I had some I dont know what happened to it that is sooooo cool Thanks for sharing your awesome finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread