Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all:

I have used my Ace 250 for about 1.5 years now (not counting winter!) and was thinking of getting the 12" PROformance coil for it. Has anyone used it and would you recommend it? What kind of depth can you achieve with it? Any drawbacks? Is it much harder to pinpoint with?

I prefer to hunt old homesites and only hit a tot lot ocassionally.

TIA for any help. :)
HH

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Hi Michiganne,

the 9x12 is a nice coil if you hunt in trash free areas and gives you some depth more...not much on the coins (1"), to me, but very much with artifacts. Trash free areas 'cause the ACE falses a bit with irons and the large coil would increase this problem. Then depth always depends on the soil conditions.

Pinpoint requires a long learning curve with ACE, to me...When I started I failed pinpointing most of the times, now it's better, after a long time using it...You know I hunt for my job, not for fun, so it takes a part of my working day. If the target is deep pinpointing is easier, a bit less if it's shallow, then, yes, pinpointing with 9x12 is a little bit harder but nothing you can't do with some experience.

I would recommend 9x12 if you need it for a specific use, such as cache hunting or if you hit a large area.

I think john, sandman and the other guys here may give you many tips more..

Good hunt.

Melvin

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I use my large 9" x 12" PROformance Coil strictly for hunting sports fields, such as baseball, soccer and football fields. The large coil maintains it's sensitivity for tiny objects, seems to get at least an inch more depth, but it covers a lot more area per swing of the coil, and when doing such a large area, it cuts the time down considerably to finish each field. As a rule, sports fields aren't littered with junk. In fact, you tend to dig more coins & jewelry then junk. At least that has been my experience.

T

The.Boomer

Sports fields, beaches, farm fields, open woodlots without much brush. I have measured it at 1"-2" in depth increase depending on object size. But it does still detect a dime. My advice on pinpointing is learn the wobble technique. You find a signal, place your coil down on it, now wobble the coil as you back it up stop as soon as the ringing stops. Mark the spot at the tip of the coil, Now do the same thing from a different angle. Your target should be where the two marks intersect. 8)

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I'll only gain an inch or so, on average, for depth. Hmmmm. :icon_scratch: I don't hunt many soccer/football fields. The favorite farm I hunt is quite trashy. I could dig iron all day there if I pleased.

May have to think about this some more.

HH

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might want to look into the detech 15x12 s.e.f. butterfly search coil, I love mine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
for hunting home sites where theres trash try the smaller "sniper" coil --- you'll cover a bit less ground but you will get better "target seperation" -- with bigger coils --at times you get two targets at once in tight trashy homestead areas --with a smaller coil --your less likely to "co mingle" items / signals --- since good targets can get masked by junk items when they co mingle --"masking" the good item .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread