Spent the day with a new ace 150

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
I bought a new ace 150 this morning so I could play around until my gti-1500 gets here.Took it out and gave it a shakedown.They really meant it when they say its a coin machine.mine doesnt even like shotgun shells,or coin size/shape conductives that are not in fact coins.Lead included.Doesnt get very excited about zinc pennies either.Alot of the non coin targets I dug today wouldnt hit when I broke the ground,I had to switch to all metal just to find what it was.Hit pretty good on big iron but always showed iron on the display unless it was like 10sq in and rusted in red clay 6" deep.All in all did a better job than the 6t I had last year.I took it to about the worst places I could today,found more coins in my backyard when I got home than I did all day.I like it, buttons are right under my fingers when I need to push them,cuts on and off with one touch.Gets erratic around several targets so I just set the coil down and came in slowly.Oh yeah while we were in the store playing with it on the bench I happened to pick up the test stick with a chunk of iron and put it in front of the clad quarter and it hit it every time iron was same diameter and twice as thick as quarter.Then I tried the same with a big rusty nail it hit it on the short way of the nail but missed it long ways.I did dig a penny in the same hole with a rusty nail today.I dont see how you can do better for the money,Question for Ace owners.Are there additional coils available? and what advantages would they have over the stock coil?

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
Went out in the yard this morning,saw the tesoro cutlass umax sitting there so I did a little comparison of it and the Ace 150. Tesoro got a hit and was repeatable in all directions,ace was repeatable in two directions and nothing 90 degrees from it.Dig it up and see,to my dismay it was a dime in my backyard less than 4" deep.What? non repeat on a dime, what? So I dont have anything burried around the house yet so I took two quarters and put them in the ground one at 6" and one at 10". Took the tesoro over nothing on the 10" and the 6" I wouldnt dig that signal unless it was the only peep I got all day.Took the ace over and the same 10" no dice,6" would hit once out of every 4 or so swings in two directions 90 degrees to each other.I burried the coins flat facing up.Maybe I should put two more in on edge? Like I said I just bought it to play with for a few days,but if thats the best it can do its better off in the hands of a 6 year old.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You learned why the companies make entry level detectors and ones that have more features now. It isn't how many features your detector has but what you want out of the hobby. Some hunters only care about finding quarters and just wanna get away from doing the fabric store visits with the wife. But you are on the right track comparing one against another at the same location under the same circumstances.

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Dug alot of holes today,used my friends white's machine.I can honestly say I am not a whites man.The ground is still wet here from a week of rain,in the woods with wet leafs and vines,roots.Falseing all day long,clippy signals,noisy machine.We took a break and I picked up my ace ,no dice.Its sounds like a carnival ride,there is so much trash at this place it is overwelming.And there are several acres to cover every sq ft of it could be a find.I found an iron with the handle broken off,and a drawer pull,my buddy found most of a brass lock and chain.Good day digging,we got to check out the musem when we took a break and got some more good info on the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread