In your opinion - how does the ACE 250 stack up to high-end detectors?

zaweiss

Nov 14, 2006
Park Hills, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Hey all,

I own an ACE 250. My wife bought it for me for me this year as a late Christmas present- from Metaldetector.com for $212.
(UPS delivered it on December 29th.) :tongue3:

I hunted yesterday and today for a combined total of approximately 5 hours. I dug 71 coins, a gold/silver ring and ALOT of misc junk. (I didn't even believe it when that ring popped out of the dirt clod!)

I am extremely impressed with the ACE 250. It seems like an outstanding machine. Pinpoint is HOT.....seems like it has decent depth....a coin-destroying monster!

My question is why is this detector so cheap? What more does one get when they buy a more expensive metal detector? More depth? Better discrimination? WHAT?

Let's say a random coin is at 5" ....could the ACE 250 potentially miss this target, while a higher-end model would find it? What's the deal?

How does the ACE 250 stack up to the big dogs?

I am extremely happy with mine, I'm just curious!

Zach

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
G/Day Zaweiss,
I could fill a couple of A4 pages with features that high end metal detectors have that the Ace 250 does not have. These features result in greater depth in a wide range of ground mineral conditions, much more stable operation and better target ID and/or the ability to operate underwater.

However the Ace 250 has proven itself to be an excellent metal detector at a great price without all of these extral Bells and Whistles features in all but the worst salt and iron mineral conditions; it is even having success in our Aussie gold fields.
And as you have found out for yourself, it is a great coin and jewellery machine with very good depth capability.

So forget about the more expensive machines for a while and enjoy the the 250,

Cheers,
Adrian SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Garrett did very well in bringing out the ACE 250 at a price that is not an arm & a leg. It is a decent detector that can provide years of enjoyment.

What does higher cost detectors give you? More features for your money really, but to many they are not needed. Just like all of us don't need the Bose sound system, built in GPS, camera's for backing up, and heated drink holders in our cars. They are nice to have, but we bought the car to take us places.

Having an adjustable ground balance would make the Ace 250 more usable in more locations, but then the cost would have to go up to show this. NO, the ACE 250 is a great detector for the money and will do what you ask with other coils for different jobs.

BTW, that http://metaldetector.com used to be the address of the place I sold metal detectors and they sold the address for enough money to buy an island.

Have fun and go at it. :hello2:
Sandman

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love your Ace, i've had mine for years now, and I keep saying im going to upgrade, but I am still having a ball with it..........I've used a bunch of different kinds over the years, and the Ace (to me) is by far the simplest ever......I have no gripes with it...I run up against my buddys 1350, and honestly, it does not impress me...I can use it any time I like, BUT I never do, cuz I really like the Ace better.......Just to set the record straight tho, I do not know the 1350 that well, so I may not use it to its fullest capacity......Have fun with it for a while, before you invest alot of money on a high dollar detector........I really do not see how they sell a detector as goos as the Ace for so cheap......I like it far better than my CXII I had........It blows my Land Star in the weeds, and with the sniper coil, it is so light and can get in to tight spots.......Sure was nice of your wife to get it for you...I was lucky, my son worked at Fryes electronics, and he got me his discount...$169 I think is what I paid about 4 years ago......I would suggest you think about a Sniper Coil..I love mine......I would like to know how the Ace stacks up depth wise in average soil against some other detectors for coin shooting.............

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
One of the guys I go hunting with has the Ace250. He seems to get just as much as we do with our Minelabs. Other than the wet sand on a saltwater beach it appears to do quite well when handled by an experienced user.

McIntosh

Feb 12, 2010
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX/Garrett ACE 250/Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter
If i'm not mistaken, isn't Garrett selling this machine for about $350.00? I just bought one and I'm impressed.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started new in this hobby back in April of 09 and used a Ace 250 since day 1 and can say I am very impressed with this machine. I feel I have mastered the Ace 250 now and can hold my own against high end detectors. I consistantly do as well or better against the higher end machine's against people in my club and friends. I have found over 100 silver coins, over 100 IHP few largecents, few gold and silver rings and my best find was a 1877 IHP in VF20 condition after getting it graded. It has paid for itself 10 times over already. I prefer to use the pro performance 9x12 coil and it really shines. I just bought the GTI 2500 to upgrade but can't say enough good things for the Ace 250. It's not the best in beach conditions but I hunt land alot more then the beach so I'm fine with that.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Haved used my ACE for almost 3 years and just now upgraded. I love the ACE. My only complaint is the recovery time. It takes about 3 seconds for it to register a new signal so I felt at though I might be missing things. I also wanted something to go a little deeper to search for relics and silver.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
McIntosh said:
If i'm not mistaken, isn't Garrett selling this machine for about $350.00? I just bought one and I'm impressed.
Most dealers sell the Ace 250 for ... $212.00

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonelyduckhunter said:
I started new in this hobby back in April of 09 and used a Ace 250 since day 1 and can say I am very impressed with this machine. I feel I have mastered the Ace 250 now and can hold my own against high end detectors. I consistantly do as well or better against the higher end machine's against people in my club and friends. I have found over 100 silver coins, over 100 IHP few largecents, few gold and silver rings and my best find was a 1877 IHP in VF20 condition after getting it graded. It has paid for itself 10 times over already. I prefer to use the pro performance 9x12 coil and it really shines. I just bought the GTI 2500 to upgrade but can't say enough good things for the Ace 250. It's not the best in beach conditions but I hunt land alot more then the beach so I'm fine with that.

Man dude, you had one hell of a year...I have not found all that in 30 years where I am at...Think I will run up north...LOL...Yes the ace is a great little machine......How do you like the 2500???? It seemed heavy to me after the Ace...I played with one the other day...Tom

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man dude, you had one hell of a year...I have not found all that in 30 years where I am at...Think I will run up north...LOL...Yes the ace is a great little machine......How do you like the 2500???? It seemed heavy to me after the Ace...I played with one the other day...Tom
[/quote]

To say I have had a heck of a year would be a understatement. I have had a very lucky year and found a few great sites and glad I had a friend who got me into this, after I called him a nerd for doing this. Have not recieved the 2500 yet should be here today or tommorow from kellyco. I have tried one a few months ago and it did seem a little heavy but I have my Marine thought process that "pain is weakness leaving the body" :tongue3: I liked the one I tried out debated between the 2500 and ETrac for months and really like the Garrett products and did not want the learning curve that came with the E Trac. I believe that a cheap machine put in the right persons hands can beat a expensive machine in the wrong persons hands anyday. I really spent a ton of time detecting since I started and got the chance to dig alot of the same targets IHP for instance around junk so I sorta knew what my machine was telling me if you listen to your machine it won't lie to you once you have learned it. Hopefully this year will be just as lucky. Come up North we'll share our treasure with you just bring some Texas women with you. ;D

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pleasure Lonelyduckhunter.....................

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well finally got the GTI 2500 out to a field that had the snow bulldozed off it for a house getting ready to go in. To say it impress would be saying it lightly. 1st find was a 1911S Barber quarter at 8" second find was a 185? silver 3 cent piece also found a handfull of buttons and a old charm. Think the machine might be a little messed up thu when I hold the pinpoint button to long it resets itself to the factory settings. The power button is suppose to do that. Will call kellyco on monday I'm sure they will help but so far likeing the GTI2500.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonelyduckhunter said:
Well finally got the GTI 2500 out to a field that had the snow bulldozed off it for a house getting ready to go in. To say it impress would be saying it lightly. 1st find was a 1911S Barber quarter at 8" second find was a 185? silver 3 cent piece also found a handfull of buttons and a old charm. Think the machine might be a little messed up thu when I hold the pinpoint button to long it resets itself to the factory settings. The power button is suppose to do that. Will call kellyco on monday I'm sure they will help but so far likeing the GTI2500.

Great find..............WOW................

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
JohnnieWalker said:
One of the guys I go hunting with has the Ace250. He seems to get just as much as we do with our Minelabs. Other than the wet sand on a saltwater beach it appears to do quite well when handled by an experienced user.

I have found the same to be very true. Wet salty sand and an Ace250 don't mix well. Other areas that are highly mineralized will also give you a lot of false signals. Other than that, I can say with all honesty that mine has paid for itself several times over..In fact one of my first finds with it was valued at about four times what I paid for the machine. Since then who knows. I have detected with people who have higher end machines and had days where I kicked their hineys. Other days they kicked mine. For the $$$ spent, I say you cannot beat this little machine.
Spend more and you may be able to detect in areas you can't with the Ace, but in general, I give it 3 1/2 stars out of four.
~Nash~

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
lonelyduckhunter said:
To say I have had a heck of a year would be a understatement. I have had a very lucky year and found a few great sites and glad I had a friend who got me into this, after I called him a nerd for doing this. Have not recieved the 2500 yet should be here today or tommorow from kellyco. I have tried one a few months ago and it did seem a little heavy but I have my Marine thought process that "pain is weakness leaving the body" :tongue3: I liked the one I tried out debated between the 2500 and ETrac for months and really like the Garrett products and did not want the learning curve that came with the E Trac. I believe that a cheap machine put in the right persons hands can beat a expensive machine in the wrong persons hands anyday. I really spent a ton of time detecting since I started and got the chance to dig alot of the same targets IHP for instance around junk so I sorta knew what my machine was telling me if you listen to your machine it won't lie to you once you have learned it. Hopefully this year will be just as lucky. Come up North we'll share our treasure with you just bring some Texas women with you. ;D
BTW, your friend wants to know if he is ever going to get his Ace back. ;D

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bartman said:
lonelyduckhunter said:
BTW, your friend wants to know if he is ever going to get his Ace back. ;D

Probaly not but I'll be happy to buy him a new one and keep the old dirty one if he wants another one. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread