Excelerator Coil for the Ace 250 - Field Test

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I bought my kids an Ace 250 for Christmas '08, so for Christmas '09, I got them the Excelerator Coil. I had heard great things about it, so I went for it. Also, a buddy of mine ordered one as well.

Field tests: - We have only used it a few times thus far, but it has performed well. One day, I was hunting with my buddy after he installed his Excel coil and we got a signal. We dug the average 4" deep plug, but the signal was still in the ground. We dug 2 or 3 more inches, but it was still in the ground. This "thing" was about 8-9" deep, it's very heavy, and seems like lead. Here's a pic...I included a quarter in the photo to show size relation of the "thing".
index.php

Still not sure what it is....but we were impressed with the performance of the coil.
My kids and I have tested ours and it seems to work fine as well. Thus far, after a few hunts, we've found clad in the average 5" or less range.

Air tests - If I remember correctly, when I air tested the stock coil, it would see a quarter at 7". But with the Excel coil, it sees a quarter at 8.5". Now, some may say "air tests don't mean crap". Maybe not, but I do believe the Excel coil will give you about 20-30% more depth.

Pinpointing - First thing you should do when you get your Excel coil installed is to go outside and throw a coin on the ground. Use this coin to do a pinpoint test. When you pass the coil back and forth over it, you'll get the common "ding ding". Now, lock in the pinpoint mode and locate the "full signal" on the power meter. When you get the "full" signal, now begin to pull the coil back toward your feet until the signal drops out "dead". (If it doesn't do exactly like I just mentioned, move around 180 degrees to the other side of the coin and try again as there may be trash under your coil.) When the signal drops out "dead", your coin should be right at the front edge of the coil.

Overall conclusion - It's a nice upgrade. For parks, ball fields, and other trashy areas, the Excel coil will drive you nuts. If you are somewhat new to metal detecting, you do NOT want to use big coils in trashy areas (that's why they make sniper coils). But for yards, open fields, etc., it'll cover a lot of area, fast. The 10x14 coil looks massive on the Ace 250, and it adds a little weight, but I just slide it on the ground instead of hovering it over the ground. Oh, I do have one major complaint: When set the unit down on the ground (so you can dig a plug), it falls over due to the instability of the BIG coil on the ACE. I don't like my Ace "rolling over" on it's side, especially if I'm hunting in wet areas.

Thanks for reading... please PM me if I can help you with your Ace or your Excel coil.

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snyper77 said:
I bought my kids an Ace 250 for Christmas '08, so for Christmas '09, I got them the Excelerator Coil. I had heard great things about it, so I went for it. Also, a buddy of mine ordered one as well.

Field tests: - We have only used it a few times thus far, but it has performed well. One day, I was hunting with my buddy after he installed his Excel coil and we got a signal. We dug the average 4" deep plug, but the signal was still in the ground. We dug 2 or 3 more inches, but it was still in the ground. This "thing" was about 8-9" deep, it's very heavy, and seems like lead. Here's a pic...I included a quarter in the photo to show size relation of the "thing".
index.php

Still not sure what it is....but we were impressed with the performance of the coil.
My kids and I have tested ours and it seems to work fine as well. Thus far, after a few hunts, we've found clad in the average 5" or less range.

Air tests - If I remember correctly, when I air tested the stock coil, it would see a quarter at 7". But with the Excel coil, it sees a quarter at 8.5". Now, some may say "air tests don't mean crap". Maybe not, but I do believe the Excel coil will give you about 20-30% more depth.

Pinpointing - First thing you should do when you get your Excel coil installed is to go outside and throw a coin on the ground. Use this coin to do a pinpoint test. When you pass the coil back and forth over it, you'll get the common "ding ding". Now, lock in the pinpoint mode and locate the "full signal" on the power meter. When you get the "full" signal, now begin to pull the coil back toward your feet until the signal drops out "dead". (If it doesn't do exactly like I just mentioned, move around 180 degrees to the other side of the coin and try again as there may be trash under your coil.) When the signal drops out "dead", your coin should be right at the front edge of the coil.

Overall conclusion - It's a nice upgrade. For parks, ball fields, and other trashy areas, the Excel coil will drive you nuts. If you are somewhat new to metal detecting, you do NOT want to use big coils in trashy areas (that's why they make sniper coils). But for yards, open fields, etc., it'll cover a lot of area, fast. The 10x14 coil looks massive on the Ace 250, and it adds a little weight, but I just slide it on the ground instead of hovering it over the ground. Oh, I do have one major complaint: When set the unit down on the ground (so you can dig a plug), it falls over due to the instability of the BIG coil on the ACE. I don't like my Ace "rolling over" on it's side, especially if I'm hunting in wet areas.

Thanks for reading... please PM me if I can help you with your Ace or your Excel coil.
Thanks for the great info. Appreciate it. I do have a sniper coil I use a lot in trashy areas, and it works very good. I have some open fields that I am anxious to try the new coil out on.In fact were I use to work there is about 12 acres of open, old farm fields that has been there for a long time as my company built a small plant on it back in 1954 and the rest has been just sitting there. The Farm that was on it goes way back into the early 1900''s. I got permission to try my luck on it , as all they do is cut the field .. I am sure there is something buried in all the acreage Shane

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(SNYPER77) it's a 2 ounce fishing sinker.... I find them at the beach but smaller 1/4 ounce
all the time :thumbsup:

zaweiss

Nov 14, 2006
Park Hills, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks for the info!

What is the deepest target that you've dug with the Excelerator coil on your Ace? :hello:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Excelerator Coil for my Ace. I have dug many targets in the 10 to 12 inch range. :coffee2:

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
extractor said:
I have the Excelerator Coil for my Ace. I have dug many targets in the 10 to 12 inch range. :coffee2:

I dug a silver ring at 10 inches with my Ace250 stock coil. It really depends on ground type and mineralization.
I WOULD like to have the Excelerator coil for things like soccer fields etc. though!

~Nash~

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jimmyjiver said:
Hi, :hello: Where do you buy an Excelerator Coil for an Ace 250? Thanks....JJ