Garrett Coinhunter vlf/tr Discriminator 1977-1978 Ground hog coil info?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its in good working order and you haven't been spoilt by using motion machines it could be a good buy.

It runs at 15 kilohertz and uses four nine volt PP3 batteries. Being VLF/TR means you have to tune the detector and ground balance, so not switch on and go. Good coil discipline is also needed. A set height above the ground for the coil is necessary or the detector will be sounding off. Its good training and will get you better results when using your DFX.

The Master Hunter version came with 7.5 and 10.5 inch coils. The Coin Hunter only had the 7.5".
They were called the featherweight series....only problem is that compared with most modern machines they were rather heavy. To help with this there were arm rests that could be attached to help with the larger coils and a three way universal hip mount.

Being pre S.P.D./motion you could not have discrimination and ground balance working at the same time. G.B. was limited to the VLF all metal mode which was the primary search mode for maximum depth on land sites. When a target was located you would flick a switch on the control box and this would switch you into a full range discriminating mode so you could decide to dig or not. On wet salt areas you needed to balance out the salt effect using the TR discrimination mode. Somewhere round where small foil is discriminated out allows silent beach use. No need to switch modes on the wet salt as the TR mode is the one you need.
On land sites in the non discriminating deep searching VLF mode you do in fact have a form of discrimination that works to I.D. ferrous objects. This is an advantage of the way Garrett wound their coils. Ferrous targets/bottlecaps would give an audio response before the edge of the coil is over the target whilst non ferrous response starts at the edge of the coil and peaks sharply at the center.

Coils on offer at the time were the 7.5" stock co-planer, an 8" co-axial, the 10.5" co-planer for coins and larger items at greater depths and a 14" deepseeker for caches and relics at greater depth.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...They also made a 12 inch coil and all of the D-Tex CK series coils will also work......Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread