Ace 250 cracked coil

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Ok so i have an Ace 250 with the stock coil. I bought it used and it has a cracked coil on the bottom where its actually missing a piece about 1" of plastic is missing from the outer ring on the bottom.

I now have a piece of duct tape covering the exposed part to keep dirt out.

Is that going to interfere with any detections? (I haven't noticed anything strange going on since putting it on)

The reason im asking now is that im going to a NJ beach and wanted to bring it along. Could i wrap the coil in saran wrap or an old bread bag to protect it from sand and water? Would plastic interfere with anything?

I will be getting a new coil and COVER eventually and i know thats the best answer but i'd like to use it near the water and in the sand this upcoming weekend.

any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Used?

No Warranty?

Paint and fill the damaged area with Rhino Truck bed liner.

It will seal it, protect it and make it last a Long, Long Time. :notworthy:

OP
OP
S

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Yes used.

Warranty, not sure it had the chip in the coil when i bought it so im sure it would be covered under a warranty, i think it hit a rock that caused the chip in it.

Can you link to the product you are talking about all i saw was spray on truck bed liners and im not sure that would really work?

Thanks,

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use Loctite Marine Epoxy instead. Brush it on smooth to fill the gap and up the sides a might. Use painters tape to make a neat edge. The warranty only covers manufacturing defects, but sometimes they just fix it for free. Best to just buy a new coil and cover.

OP
OP
S

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Sandman said:
I would use Loctite Marine Epoxy instead. Brush it on smooth to fill the gap and up the sides a might. Use painters tape to make a neat edge. The warranty only covers manufacturing defects, but sometimes they just fix it for free. Best to just buy a new coil and cover.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds better than wrapping it in plastic lol ;D

Should i fill the chipped hole and then smooth it out? Would it mess with the wires at all coming in contact with the loctite?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread