168 KB · Views: 845

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if it works yes it is good deal -- its a older heavier top notch model (in the the 80's) it runs at the freq of 15 --which is the same as several newer models -- its a bit heavy which can tire you out quickly unless your young and healthy

you can most likely find a manuel for it by looking online -- my dad had one like it --

it most likely needs to be "balanced" or ground tuned -- that is why its screaming

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Hi!!.....the Garrett American series are not heavy...in fact they are lighter in weight than the ADS Groundhog......if you can not get it to stop screaming...it is probably at least worth a call to Garrett and talk to their repair dept. and see what they say.......Joe

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
i just found this post but if im not mistaken the bolt holdin the coil on looks like stainless steel that will def make it scream as my dad had one u can pick up a nylon bolt and wing nut at most hardware stores

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saltednuts said:
i just found this post but if im not mistaken the bolt holdin the coil on looks like stainless steel that will def make it scream as my dad had one u can pick up a nylon bolt and wing nut at most hardware stores

I think SN nailed it, it looks like a metal bolt, it will cause it to scream constant since it is just like it is under the coil.....Get a nylon bolt from Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware, just take the old bolt with you to get proper size.....

JaxYakker

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I have one almost identical (bought in '82 or '83) except mine has the toggle switch in the handle instead of the push button you have. I don't suspect the coil bolt and nut to be the problem - they came that way. The lower rod is also metal. I recently talked to Garrett about repairing mine. They said they would check it at no cost and give me an estimate if parts are available. If it can't be repaired (or I don't want to spend that much) they will credit me with 40% discount on a new unit. Since I have been considering an AT Pro I thought that was a very decent deal - Almost as much credit as I paid for it almost 30 years ago!!! JY

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JaxYakker said:
I have one almost identical (bought in '82 or '83) except mine has the toggle switch in the handle instead of the push button you have. I don't suspect the coil bolt and nut to be the problem - they came that way. The lower rod is also metal. I recently talked to Garrett about repairing mine. They said they would check it at no cost and give me an estimate if parts are available. If it can't be repaired (or I don't want to spend that much) they will credit me with 40% discount on a new unit. Since I have been considering an AT Pro I thought that was a very decent deal - Almost as much credit as I paid for it almost 30 years ago!!! JY

Man I'll say...I wonder if they'd give me 40% discount with my old GTA 500?? worth checkin'

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would say a very good buy for $15.00! Print out the manual the reader provided and go for it! And do the bolt repair. MD's are usually basic instruments that get improved from year to year, but the basic instrument is used much less than, say, the average radio or lawn mower, so they're "good" longer than the average 'electronic' instrument. Use and have fun! (P.S. I bought my first MD at a garage sale for $25 in 1979. Haven't looked back since.) -Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread