Bought a GTI2500

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
I just bought a used GTI2500 on an EBay auction. It will replace an Ultra GTA500 that I've used for years. I bought the new detector almost entirely because of the imaging feature. I have bad knees and find it very difficult to get back to my feet after digging a target. I'm hoping the 2500 will help eliminate a lot of digging for trash. Since I've already bought the detector, it's too late to tell me it won't work the way I hope. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me I'm not just wasting my money! Thanks.
Charles

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie you did good with the 2500. I have bad knees also so I know the crawling to a picnic table to get up. The imagining feature only works for coin sized objects but is pretty accurate. Take up water wading and you get to use a scoop and no more kneeling down.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
First thing you might want to do is get your self a Swingy Thingy! That will take a lot of the weight
off your swinging arm. Next is to round up a few gold rings and a sliver one or two; these and
some small bits of foil, a few ring tabs , pull tabs, rusty nail,and maybe a rusty nut or two, well
maybe you can leave out the rusty nuts, every one knows about them! These will be used as
your test targets so make them as much different from one a nother as you can find. When you
get them ready, put that machine in the custom mode and run them across the coil and hit the
reject butten on each trash target and accept on the good ones ( also with coins ) when you have done that hit operate and you will be good to go. When you hit a bad target you will hear kind
of like morris-code on the trash targets, and a bell tone on the good ones. Works like a charm!!!!
You can set it up the same way in the jewelry mode if you want and save the custom mode
for some thing special if you want, works the same way. And don't forget you can set the surface
elimination to get rid of what is at 1, 2, 3, or 4". You don't have to dig junk no more ( 99% of the
time at least ). If the weight still bothers you when using the Swingy Thingy you can make
your self a swing arm and use both arms to swing it with and that really helps.

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
Thanks for the replies! I haven't had to crawl to a picnic table yet, but i do carry a large walking stick to help pry myself back up. When i saw that I had won the auction, I ordered a shoulder harness from KellyCo. Setting up the custom mode as you suggested seems to be a good idea, thanks!
Charles

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phs3194, I would check the ser# on it. After you have that call Garrett and they can tell you if it has been updated with a new mineralization chip for ground balancing. I love my 2500 and just recently turned it in for update.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Once you learn that machine well, especially the Imaging and true all metal modes, you will just love it. I often feel a little lost when relic hunting without that Imaging feature. It really saves you a lot of time by ruling out larger junk targets when searching for ammunition, coins and jewellery. Good luck with that unit.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread