LEARNING THE SCORPION

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well It has been a while now since I received the Scorp. I did go out and use it where a young girl lost her gold ring at a soccer field. I did recover some items (3 Quarters, foil galore, nail, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 3 penny's, copper connector and a silver small locket) its a great machine. No joke though is getting the time to learn it, 100 hours they recommend, I can see it.

I have set up a test bed in my yard (nail, coke tab, small silver ladies ring, small ladies gold ring, quarter, dime, penny, nickel), spaced about 18 inches apart, I do not have grass, looks just like the desert I am in. I disc out to just below "7". Nail is cut out, Tab still hits but soft and also does not hit all the time, All the coins plus gold & silver ring hits. They are buried approx 4". Right above Disc 7, Nail out, Tab out, small gold out. Coins and silver still hit, including the nickel.

Still trying to get used to the all metal mode. Before I venture into the desert looking for a gold nugget I want to at least have an idea on what I will need to do (ground balancing etc etc). The machine though is really powerful/sensitive. I tried a couple of pickers I have in a plastic bottle and it picked them up. Not loud but it did pick them up, when I waved them across the top/bottom of the coil, almost touching. Now these pickers are the size of a match head, maybe even smaller.

Additionally, since I am used to the 2500, there are the distinctive target sounds. The target sounds are similar to the 2500 if you really listen. You can almost tell what your digging. Then again I will not trust my ears for a while till I really know the machine, and will dig everything. Will be taking the machine out over the Thanksgiving Weekend in the desert and see how it performs. By then I should have a basic knowledge of ground balancing etc. I will post some pics later of my finds. Happy hunting to everyone.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I wish you success and lots of enjoyment with the Scorp. Once you learn what it is telling you with that nice crisp sounding analog audio, the jewellery and gold should start flowing your way. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time will help. So to will a good set of headphones like Grey Ghost's or since your in the desert, a set of Rattlers. These will give you better quality sounds than the detector's small speaker and allow you to hear the signals better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread