Holding Off Purchasing AT Pro!

Tabnabber

Jan 9, 2011
I was about to purchase the AT Pro until I read several post about its short comings. Problems with slop in its pole, headphone connections and problem with the paint shield or lack of in the coil. Waiting to see how Garrett is going to address these problems and soon as they get these problems solved I will get one. Will they do recalls on ones that are already sold?

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've also been holding off, i'd really like to hear a few more beach reviews before i pull the trigger. i highly dout there will be a recall, i think the pro's outweight the cons with this machine. the wobble is due to no cam lock and i don't find it bad with the 2 garretts i own. the wobble can be corrected with an aftermarket cam lock. i'd also expect the coil and headphone connections to be a little tighter due to the waterproof feature. i'd really like to see an adaptor for the headphones so i can run a 1/4 jack for when i land detect so i can use my lightweight headphones. but than again for the price ya can't beat them

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
After checking mine out i think it would be smart to wait.......... Don't jump in like i did.. .. I might sell it fast and cut my loss......

Willy

Here's something to think about. Theslop in the upper/lower rods is easily fixed; just wrap a bit of tape around the coil rod and upper rod. I wish that Garrett would use camlocks but, truthfully, the upper control rod camlocks on all the White's detectors I've used (have 2 now MXT/V3) don't stop the slop either. There aren't any problems with the headphone connection save that it has to be screwed on because it's WATERPROOF and that precludes a simple push-in fit. As for the 'coil-problems', it seems to be a few people making a lot of noise. If there actually IS a problem, Garrett will replace the coils. I have an AT Pro and it does the exact same thing that other people have been complaining about; if I hold it horizontal, with the sensitivity set above 3 and twist the detector, it will sound off with a low tone. Now, if I lower it to the ground and do the same thing.. nothing, absolutely silent. I can have it at full sensitivity and it's stable as a rock. It's, to my mind, picking up outside RF when held in that position, which is kinda like a PI. That's the beef people have been having with it and, if you're detecting stuff in the air it could be a problem. Me, I try to find stuff in the ground. ..Willy.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm holding off too, hoping Garrett has another new machine for spring. Having said that, the Pro is destined to be a classic, even considering it's minor shortcomings. Some folks want lighted screens for night hunting, others don't. Some want cam locks for the rods, others don't care. It is impossible to make the perfect detector, or a detector that pleases everyone. Having said this, look at the positives. Light-weight, waterproof to ten feet, manual gb, advanced iron scrim, it's a deep seeker, the price is right, and that killer coil is some of the best. You cant go wrong. Or can you?

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
I'm also waiting for more real world feedback on the at pro. Right now i'm looking at 8in of snow over frozen ground. If the at pro is even close to what i now use i'll get one,because it"ll replace a land machine and a water machine. When hunting the beach on a hot day I like to go into the water to cool off. With the at pro I wont have to make a treck back to the truck and get the water machine [sometimes it is a quarter mile stroll} the at pro will increase my hunting time. Instead I can just hunt in or out of the water as the weather and situation permitt.

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive got 1 & ill tell you ive got no major problems with mine except i need a deeper digger :thumbsup:
all the stuff about the shaft slopp i dont see any nice & solid
the headphones they work great cord is quite long enough & how expensive of a set did they expect on a $599.00 detector?
the connections there not that hard to do just take your time
the headphone is on the wrong side ? i just run it under & its fine..
the arm shaft not being long enough is short but not a problem here good balance..
the coil wobble noise ? well i dont stand around wobbling my coil in the air it works great in the ground..
the at is /waterproof to 10 feet / 15 kh / pro mode / dd coil /deepseeking /exceptional separation in trash reads a coin under a nail wow / really hot on gold jewelry & coins/ see pix / can separate a nickle from a square pulltab/ all my spots are like ive never hunted them before deep stuff coming up everywhere

i hope no 1 gets the at pro please dont get 1 then ill have the only 1 & will be getting the goodies :headbang:
its a great detector the best ive owned in 35 years :icon_thumright:
& it nugget hunts too
just my thoughts ive sold all my other detectors its so good
good hunting
walt
p.s the gold ring was found the first day out with the at pro

Tabnabber said:
I was about to purchase the AT Pro until I read several post about its short comings. Problems with slop in its pole, headphone connections and problem with the paint shield or lack of in the coil. Waiting to see how Garrett is going to address these problems and soon as they get these problems solved I will get one. Will they do recalls on ones that are already sold?

Attachments

• at pro  1.jpg
    at pro 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 722
  • at pro  2.jpg
    at pro 2.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 705
  • atpro 14 k medialon 1.jpg
    atpro 14 k medialon 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 695
  • at pro ring 2 1.jpg
    at pro ring 2 1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 705

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love it when people who don't have one and have never used one find fault with a detector. Any detector! Good grief. I saw a post where someone was asking about the Ace 350. The very first response was someone saying how bad it was but that they had never even used one!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has a number of those underwater connectors for sale for $19.95 so you can change your favorite headphones over. However soon they will have an adapter to accept the 1/4" plug for a land headphone set. No price on these yet.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Sandman said:
Garrett has a number of those underwater connectors for sale for $19.95 so you can change your favorite headphones over. However soon they will have an adapter to accept the 1/4" plug for a land headphone set. No price on these yet.
thank you, the 1/4" adapter would be a big plus. i'd be able to hook up the transmitter for my wireless headphones :thumbsup: (if i deciede to to buy an AT)

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with dogpound again. The only thing stopping me from ordering an AT Pro right now is thinking there might be a new or updated GTI machine coming and since it is not metal detecting weather just yet, I'll just grit my teeth and wait till closer to spring to see what Mr Charles Garrett has a cookin'.

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I might add, the fact that John-Edmonton said "It's coming" didn't help :icon_scratch:

alexTx

Greenie
Dec 13, 2009
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my AT Pro just a little before Christmas so it may not be a first run unit. Early reviews complained about no dust cover for the headphone connection on the control box. Mine came with a dust cover for both the unit and the cord. Also I had no problem connecting the headphones nor the coil connector. Once inserted, I just had to spin the nuts with my thumb and they threaded right up till snug. My connectors are painted black like early reviews but the paint does not seem to interfere with the nut threading. So, Garrett has addressed the headphone issues, or I just got lucky with mine. I do wish the headphone cord was longer though.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wltdwiz said:
the headphone is on the wrong side ? i just run it under & its fine..
[/quote]

I have to say the connector is on the correct side... I'm left handed and it works fine. ;D

No issues with mine, i've not been out with it too much, but it seems solid and works great.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Stop for a second and add all this up-if the 'problems' people are referring to are put IN CONTEXT it will be really easy to recognize the BS. Sorry but that's the category most of this falls into. Seriously-would you let a small amount of shaft wobble keep you from buying a detector? Let's get real here. Next-wobbling the coil in midair..I'm happy if it falses a bit. I've seen some very sensitive detectors that do the same thing. My Scorpion would do it if I just LOOKED at the coil wrong! It was a very deep machine and never had a problem finding stuff. OK, and coil paint? ::) If you've seen the detector in action you'll see how deep this thing finds stuff at...you better bring something bigger than the trowel or Ames, etc. type tool or you're gonna be working overtime! Connectors...hmm..maybe you forgot that you were buying a waterproof unit? At least you CAN change the phones or coil! At least you're not waiting for connectors that never seem to come while your detector sits in the shop or in the closet. No backlight is a problem? Buy a headlamp and you won't miss a backlight in the least.

Sorry for the rant but if folks are waiting for that perfect detector to come along that suits THEM perfectly...it ain't gonna happen!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to wait on the AT Pro and wish I did. It isn't really the money but the thought of maybe this sucker isn't all its cracked up to be so early in its development. I should have waited till all the bugs were out. It isn't like I don't have one to use.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tabnabber said:

I think the OP of this thread posted a similar topic about Tesoro on another forum as his first post there as well. I smell a troll...

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, I'll count myself as the lucky one (and my t'hunting partner as well) that mine has not had any issue other than me being worn out at then end of the day from digging deep holes. We are blessed in this hobby to have many great choices! See you in the field...I'll be carrying a Gerber e-tool and carrying a black detector.. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread