Coil problem on my GTI2500

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
The last time I had my 2500 out I thought I was having problems with overhead powerlines and my 12 1/2 inch coil. I tried it today in an area that has no powerlines and it still is not working. As soon as the power is turned on it gives a sound like signal overload. This is in discriminate and all metal modes. When the 9 1/2 inch coil is mounted there is no problem. I checked the connection and tried to check the cable for a broken wire, but didn't find anything. It looks like it's time to send the coil to Garrett for service. Anyone else had this problem? Were you able to correct it without shipping off your coil? Thanks for any information.
Charles

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes...I have had a similar problem. Did you reset it? (hold off-on button for 10 seconds) Any improvement with decreasing the sensitivity? Are all your batteries good? If none of these seems to make a difference, you might have a coil problem. Call Garrett and ask for Sue in customer service. She will look after you.

http://www.garrett.com/contact.htm

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
John, I tried lowering the sensitivity last time without success. I didn't try the reset. My batteries are starting to get a little weak, so I'll put fresh ones in tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks!

OK, I replaced the batteries and did the factory reset. The problem is still there. A call to customer service seems to be the next step. Thanks for the suggestions.
Charles

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles, I used to have the same issue but what I found out allot of times the pin point button stuck. which then I had the overload. If that is not it seems to me as everyone suggested a coil issue.

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
It wasn't the pinpoint button. I have had that happen as well. The problem was limited to the 12.5" coil. However, as of yesterday, the coil and the detector are on their way to the Garrett factory. The detector will get the chip upgrade and a checkup, the coil will be repaired (I Hope!). Thanks for the response.
Charles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar problem with my 9 1/2 " coil and sent it in (the whole machine). There was a broken coil wire down inside the epoxy that couldn't be seen . l Got a new coil and fixed it right up. Monty

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betting on the coil. I have had to send a 9.5 and a 12.5 coil back to garrett because of problems. They made my GTI sound like it was overloading. Garrett fixed me up with new ones no problems since.

junglejim

Jun 12, 2010
Monty said:
I had a similar problem with my 9 1/2 " coil and sent it in (the whole machine). There was a broken coil wire down inside the epoxy that couldn't be seen . l Got a new coil and fixed it right up. Monty

Things like this make me worry about quality control issues.

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
It's coming home! Myra at Garrett customer service said she would ship my unit back tomorrow. The coil had to be replaced and I also had 2 bad boards in the electronics. I can't say enough good things about Myra. She did everything she could to keep me a happy customer. It's nice to do business with nice people.
Charles

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
GARRETT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE BEST!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread