What do you think

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have been out all day on my Great Grandfather's old farm, I have found a lot of trash, silver, and clad. I hit a spot where my detector went crazy all over the Gold/Bronze and Silver area I dug down six inches like it was saying it was. The ground is soft. I check again at the bottom of the hole still showed six inches. My question is in soft ground how deep will the 250 go should I get a tractor out tomorrow?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on the size of the target and also its conductivity. In point you can trace the size. When I started I dug a buried 55 gal drum with just dirt inside. I had to see what was in there... :laughing7:

beep-beep

Jan 14, 2010
North Carolina , Bertie
Detector(s) used
BH-Quick Silver,Ace 250,BH pinpointer and the DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE
Go back and dig, most likely it is a big piece of iron they will read high on the scale with the 250, but you never know. I hunt soft ground and I hit coins 8 to 10 inches sometimes.

OP
OP
J

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I will dig it up in the morning and let you know what I find...should be interest my kids are all excited, my son that had a baseball game tonight wanted to dig and skip his game!!! One of my other sons has practice at noon so we will get up early and go digging!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:lurk: :lurk: cant wait to see what it is !!!! Chug welcome to treasurenet!!

OP
OP
J

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sorry for not posting, did not get a chance to get back out there today, my youngest son is under the weather and I have been taking care of him, well worth it, he is the one that was 15 months old when I went to Afghanistan and he was three when I got home. So when he does not feel good I am by his side! It is hard to believe he is already six. I spend as much time with all of them as I can now that I am retired! Plus he is always by my side when every I go hunting he loves digging!

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jswillis24 said:
Sorry for not posting, did not get a chance to get back out there today, my youngest son is under the weather and I have been taking care of him, well worth it, he is the one that was 15 months old when I went to Afghanistan and he was three when I got home. So when he does not feel good I am by his side! It is hard to believe he is already six. I spend as much time with all of them as I can now that I am retired! Plus he is always by my side when every I go hunting he loves digging!
.....Good for you and thank you for your service......Hope your Son is doing better....

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
I have a GTP 1350 and I got a real solid signal showing 8 inches deep using the Double D 10X14 coil. I dug 10 inches deep without finding the object.
I then rescanned and it still showed 8 inches deep. So I thought it must be a large object deeper than indicated. So I dug to about 3 feet.
No object. Grrrr. Before digging any more with a garden trowel I decided to scan with the small coil. This showed two objects on each side of the hole and about 2 inches deep. I dug up a striker wheel for a lighter and a lead sinker. Rescanned the hole, Ta-Da! No object.
Before doing any major excavations recheck with a smaller coil or borrow one. If you don't have a smaller coil, do a coil edge check. Turn the coil so that the left edge of the coil is just above the soil and the right side is pointing to the sky and scan with the edge of the coil (you could do the right side down, left side up). Rescan from different angles.
I found that my large coil would sing out when the edge of the coil was over the object.
If there are two objects with a distance between them that was close to the diameter of the coil the detector would indicate a false object between the two objects.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beep-beep said:
Go back and dig, most likely it is a big piece of iron they will read high on the scale with the 250, but you never know. I hunt soft ground and I hit coins 8 to 10 inches sometimes.

I'd say it's large iron too. Large iron will signal high and it will be deeper than what is indicated. The depth of the 250 is for a quarter size object. If the object is larger, then it will be deeper than what the detector tells you. If the object is smaller, then it will actually be more shallow then what the detector is telling you. Large stuff will make the detector signal higher and round ring like stuff (i.e. iron harness rings) will make it signal higher. Has something to do with the way the eddy currents are generated in the object when the detectors' field hits it.

-Swartzie

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
it's just me but

Since its a farm i'get a long handled shovel. I've dug several zinc mason jar lids down a foot,unfortunately none had a jar full of coins underneath them ---YET

OP
OP
J

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sorry it took so long to post but I was thinking of how to word it...my Great Grandfather did NOT trust the banks, and thank God that detectors were not so good in the early 80s when the farm was checked, I have found some nice silver to add to my collection! Not anything really old but 1930-1940s, best find I have every had! I am think of getting an AT PRO! there has to be more! It was about 12 inches deep and in an area about 3 foot by 5 foot, in several jars. It got all three of my boys hooked, they are 10, 9 and 6! They have asked for detectors for their birthdays!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pictures!!!!!!!!!!! you got me ready to buy a farm already

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You never know what you're going to find on a farm. We had the Bayou Hunt here on my (grandparents') property a few years back. Chains, a plow middle-buster, and other large items were found. If they got stuck in the mud 80 years ago, sometimes they got abandoned, lost, and forgotten. Also, my grandmother saved silver dimes in pint jars (before plastic bags) when coins got adulterated back in the 60s or 70s. Said that was her Christmas fund. I've never "found" any of them after I saw them in her huge "shifferobe." Who knows. Maybe it WAS her Christmas fund. But I still keep looking...

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find enough to buy the AT Pro ?
Now that would be a find , you have to get some Photo's so we can see the haul that you have taken out of the ground.
And if there is more you will need your boys to help find it all . :)

OP
OP
J

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
No not enough to buy the AT Pro but I am saving for one, it got me closer! Every little bit helps! I had to use part of my savings for baseball for my sons, well worth the price they love the game and it is so much fun watching them play (and the added bonus of watching other parents come really close to having a stroke over 9-10 year-olds playing a game) You could make a TV show about it kinda like they have with pageant parents!!! I just sit back and laugh really the odds of any of our kids playing pro one day is slim, but you would think their lives/retirements are riding on each game, well some of them it my be their retirement plan, sad but great entertainment!

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
If you get an at pro you will have a machine thats much deeper than the ace(which is a lot of a machine for its price), Id better and is waterpruff to 10 ft, which means you're getting a land and a water/beach machine for a good price of a land machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread