Is this a good place to MD?

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
My mom and dad live on my grandads old farm. In the middle of this farm is a graveyard from the 1800s. This land was probably farmed before they had it. They lease this farm out now but wondering if this would be a good place to hunt. Where do I hunt? There were tobacco barns on this property up until 20 years ago. This part of the farm is maybe 15-20acres. My grandads house is still standing and an old barn. Do I start near the house or graveyard or would it be better in the fields? There is a creek that runs off the neuse river right behind this farm. Maybe some Indian artifacts or civil war relics! Who knows? I think there may have been another house somewhere on this farm that the people resting in the graveyard lived. There are names on these graves but I dont know the history of this family. Should I research this a little further to find out how old this farm is? What should I expect to find in a place like this if anything? Anybodys thoughts would be grateful!!!!! Happy Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way my md is an ace 250! Do I need a better detector for hunting a place like this?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the crazy, addictive world of metal detecting. The Ace 250 is a fine detector that will work great. I'd start working around the house. You'll find plenty of nails and some clad change, but you may also get lucky and find some older silver as well. To start with, dig everything, that way you'll learn what the detector is telling you. Also look for a clothes line, remember, clothes dryers are fairly recent invention, especially on farms. I'm not certain about the tobacco barns, most workers probably didn't carry too much money with them, but then there was the Friday paydays... You may find something. Research the site, read up on local history of the county you live in. Research the Official Records of the Civil War to learn about troop movements in your area. The Neuse runs from Raleigh past New Bern to the sound and there was lots of movements and some action along the river, specifically Kinston and New Bern.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a GREAT place to detect!!!! Need help?? Lol
I would go over every inch of the place with your 250 first then upgrade to a new detector and do it again. Don't count out the 250. Good machine!
Let us know how you do!

OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Im going to start on this project tomorrow! This farm is only 5 miles north of Kinston towards Greenville in a community called Grainger Station. The house that is there now is not part of the house that the people in the graveyard lived. My mother was born and raised in this house and I think the house was built in the 30s or 40s but im just guessing. My granddad was born on a farm just 2 miles down the road from here. This farm is still in our family, and the house he lived in is still standing. Im sure his dad farmed this land also so maybe another go place to hunt is there. The house must have been built around the turn of the century or even before.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
neuseman said:
Im going to start on this project tomorrow! This farm is only 5 miles north of Kinston towards Greenville in a community called Grainger Station. The house that is there now is not part of the house that the people in the graveyard lived. My mother was born and raised in this house and I think the house was built in the 30s or 40s but im just guessing. My granddad was born on a farm just 2 miles down the road from here. This farm is still in our family, and the house he lived in is still standing. Im sure his dad farmed this land also so maybe another go place to hunt is there. The house must have been built around the turn of the century or even before.

Grainger Station = train depot. Possible troop movement through area, if this section of track is old enough. Do your research. Check out the other family farm as well. Research, research, research... Can't say it enough. Kinston and surrounding areas saw a lot of action throughout the war, and especially toward the end. Union forces were moving from New Bern west toward Goldsboro to meet up with Sherman's Army in their march from Fayetteville to Bentonville to Goldsboro. Confederate troops camped along the river as well, because it was used for war goods transportation it was well protected. CSS Neuse park is close by.

Coin Stalker

Jan 12, 2011
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Max, Tesoro Compadre
Just put it in JEWLERY mode and dig every repeatable signal trust me you will find alot of good things :thumbsup:..... Just my opinion :dontknow:

Chuck(NC)

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2007
I always start at the front door then the back door, clothes line, largest shade tree in the front and back yards. I pay special attention to all corners of barns inside and outside and also the middle. Wells are good to search around and fence post close to the house. Check road in front of house on both sides for where a mail box may have been long ago. You will have fun hunting a place like you mention. I sure do and would never pass a chance of hunting an old homeplace.

Good Luck, Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions