AT PRO Question

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
I have an ace 250 and an aluminum can rings up as a dime on it. What does a can on the at pro show? Will it descrimnate these cans out? Got my eye on the at pro for an upgrade in the future. I have a place here where people have been riding four wheelers for the last 20 years and the ground is like beach sand. The last time I detected in there i found 26 quarters and 2 dimes. I know there is a lot more dimes in there. There is a lot of trash in there like aluminum cans shell casings shotgun shells and everything else. A lot of this junk sounds off like a coin. I started in coins mode and started getting dime signals and every one I dug was a can or sardine can or bean can. I put my detector on custome mode and notched out everything below quarter. Thats when I found the quarters. Ive only found 1 nickle in there. I got a lot of signals that showed nickle or dime in the coins mode but turned out to be all kinds of shell casings 9 mm 22 rifle and so on. Anyway I could go on and on about this place but I was just wondering how the AT Pro would do in a place like this. Im not putting the 250 down at all but I will upgrade someday in the future. Ive seen some reviews on the at pro and looks like it would do well in a lot of different situations. I also want to start beach hunting some.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to understand that ALL metal detectors only respond to metal by it's conductivity. They can't really tell you what it is, only what it could be based on the conductivity. Gold rings are alloyed with many different metals so they can ring up on these screens anywhere and do. Learn to id the target by the sounds is still the only way to tell what it is and half the time you will still be wrong. A pop can can show up as many things on the screen. Coins can too depending on their position in the ground or what is near them.

You need to read more about detecting. :read2: Good Luck and have fun.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ram_books.aspx

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman has some great info in his post. Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
First you have to understand that ALL metal detectors only respond to metal by it's conductivity. They can't really tell you what it is, only what it could be based on the conductivity. Gold rings are alloyed with many different metals so they can ring up on these screens anywhere and do. Learn to id the target by the sounds is still the only way to tell what it is and half the time you will still be wrong. A pop can can show up as many things on the screen. Coins can too depending on their position in the ground or what is near them.

You need to read more about detecting. :read2: Good Luck and have fun.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ram_books.aspx

:icon_thumright:

But I want a detector that only tells me to dig when it sees gold, silver, platinum, palladium and rhodium..... ;D :laughing7:

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
Hello, on my At Pro aluminum cans and can slaw read on the VDI between 74 and 76. That is the same range as new Lincoln Cents and Indian Head Cents. So you can discriminate out the can slaw but you could miss the chance of digging a Indian Head Cent. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread