Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slugrusher

cyerby said:
Did you try the heel/toe method of pinpointing? In fact, did you even practice pinpointing before you went out? I fiund it pinpoints dead on..no problems.

I realize this is an older post however....

Someone on Youtube has a great vid about pinpointing the three ways. Center. Heal and Toe. It is dead on when I did it, I've only had the detector for two weeks.

onefifth

Jun 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my AT Pro not quite a year and found a 1922 Peace dollar the other day, (my best yet) behind a guy with a Whites that cost 3X as much. There were dozens of holes all around me and he said he was sure he scanned it but thought it was a can. I seldom use the pinpoint function on my AT Pro, I just scan forward and back and dig the peak signal. Sometimes on an iffy signal, I'll verify with a right angle scan. This is only my 2nd metal detector; started out with an ACE 250. Definitely a step up but the ACE 250 was excellent to learn on and I did find a lot of sturff with it. I'm fairly new to this but I am hooked! I'm skeptical about the worth of those high dollar machines by any name. Bottom line is, no matter how much you paid, you must dig A LOT of junk to learn and be successful. Happy Hunting

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So who sold you the unit.....and did you contact them.....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my AT Pro not quite a year and found a 1922 Peace dollar the other day, (my best yet) behind a guy with a Whites that cost 3X as much. There were dozens of holes all around me and he said he was sure he scanned it but thought it was a can. I seldom use the pinpoint function on my AT Pro, I just scan forward and back and dig the peak signal. Sometimes on an iffy signal, I'll verify with a right angle scan. This is only my 2nd metal detector; started out with an ACE 250. Definitely a step up but the ACE 250 was excellent to learn on and I did find a lot of sturff with it. I'm fairly new to this but I am hooked! I'm skeptical about the worth of those high dollar machines by any name. Bottom line is, no matter how much you paid, you must dig A LOT of junk to learn and be successful. Happy Hunting
This was kinda the same thing ok ya u had a good find but doesnt mean that the higher end detector wasnt good mayb he doesnt know WHO to get the most out of it happens to all of us its not the detector its also the operator that knows his or her detector in & out mayb u have more time on urs. I used the at for a Long time it took me a month at most to get to know it & its goin on 2 months me trying to get to know my v3i theres a big difference in learning curves between the 2

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I see some post on the ATP(and many other models),about new owners not likeing it,at first. I can't say I wasn't one of them,but after a few "tweeks",and a few checks,it was off to the races!:laughing7: There is a learning curve with any detector,and the more features they have,the longer it takes to learn to use them. As far as the outside of the coil "Hitting" a target I noticed this with my 5X8 DD coil testing it on "exposed" coins laying on a floor,but it doesn't seem to do this out in the field. Dose anyone know why this would happen? I've been told the outside of the coil,sends the signal out,and the inside of the coil receives the signal coming back.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my AT Pro about 3 weeks and there is a learning process with it but now, I am like a junkie wanting another fix. There is a school just around the corner that I have put a GTA350 through and then a ACE250, thought is was pretty clean but about $5.00 in coins later, this unit is a beast. Watch the videos, use the headphones and practice aka dig some targets. Ready to go again, wish I didn't have to work for a living.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincmaster...what happened? Did you get your AT Pro back repaired? You owe us a update ;)

FL-Kruzen

Greenie
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had my ATP at the beach today, found many bottle caps and a penny. I'm really trying to learn how to use this thing. It is very noisy more so than my Minelab 305. It gets real noisy around we sand and the water. I'm not complaining, I know it takes a while to get the hang of it. And I will keep at it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had my ATP at the beach today, found many bottle caps and a penny. I'm really trying to learn how to use this thing. It is very noisy more so than my Minelab 305. It gets real noisy around we sand and the water. I'm not complaining, I know it takes a while to get the hang of it. And I will keep at it.

Gonna have to back off the sensitivity & mayb do a manual gb with addition, plus & or - not gonna b an all out crazy beach detector cuz its not. its an all terrain meaning can use it everywhere & thats What makes it great, though with the right set up on the beach once u get her dialed in ull b pulling out the treasure good luck

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your at a salt water beach and you are in the wet sand or water you have to turn down the sensitivity a notch or two.
Also you have to ground balance it. Mine usually ground balances around 10-14 in the wet sand. The dry sand and wet sand each require you to ground balance. Try that. It should help.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the wet sand and water try GB at 11, sens at 5 bars and run all metal STANDARD mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread