ProPointer Issue

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
I was using my propointer last night (have had it only for a couple months) and it suddenly stopped vibrating when touching metal. it only beeps now. I changed the battery, same thing. Then I also noticed that instead of being able to detect metal for a few inches, it now has to TOUCH metal in order to sense it. Anyone else had this issue?
Also, anyone sent one back to Garrett? If so, how long am I going to be without my propointer??? This just might be what it takes for me to go back to sunray :(

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since it's only a couple of months old, it should be covered by warranty. Give Garrett a call and explain to them what it's doing, I'm sure they'll take care of you quickly.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, make sure it is clean.
Second of all, for maximum sensitivity you must turn it on away from all metal and then move it closer.

I once had about a half an inch of heavily mineralized dirt and sand on the tip and was trying to use it and the sensitivity was way down.
I took a peak at the manual (crazy, I know) and the mineralized sand and dirt de-sensitized the probe. I cleaned everything and it it was as good as new.

If that does not help then maybe it's broken.

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
called Garrett, was told to send it back. there is definitely an issue with it. it doesn't even sound right anymore. The real kick in the arse is that they will look and determine whether it can be fixed or should be replaced. all in all about 2-4 weeks......sorry but in the prime of my season that is WAY too long >:(
Now i have to mull my options........send it in and wait it out, or send it back and buy the sun-ray probe.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
In the UK if you send one back defective and under warranty they generally just send back a brand new one. Mine took about a week for Sweden/UK/Sweden. "4 weeks" is probably what they say to cover themselves.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say with Garrett on the pinpointer from the time you send it in till you get it back would be about one week............. What Garrett does most of the time on the pinpointer ..............Is just send a new one out to you.........

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
RWJR13 to the Rescue :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

New pin pointer will be sent out today, when it arrives, THEN i will put my old one in the box and send it back. downtime will now be around 3 days!

Thanks Robert, A+ service in my book. You will get my business again in the future. :hello2:

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad it's working out for you. There some "good folks" around here. Haven't done business with RWJR13, but with service like that, I'm sure he'll benefit in the future.

As Keppy also said, I'm sure if you sent it in, Garrett would have done a quick turnaround as well. In this day, good service goes a long way.

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
well, UPS just delivered to the house and my grandfather-in-law said still no replacement pro pointer. So much for 3 days of downtime...we are at 6 and counting >:(

C'mon Garrett, what's going on!? If it shipped on the 12th as it was supposed to, it would have been here on monday. Now I know how my uncle felt when his detector was shipped out and he was counting the hours until the mail went each day....not a good feeling. Lots of coins out there to find, and here I sit, still.

Is this what impatience feels like :D

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
waitin for the ups truck wouldn't stop me from hunting, takes alittle longer to find your target but heck i went years without a pinpointer

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
replacement pin pointer has arrived. Now all I need is an evening without rain in SE/SC PA! :D
Got out for 10 minutes last night, found a dime and a penny, then suddenly the clouds opened up and chased me away.....rain 18 out of the last 20 days does not make me happy >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread