Ace 250 with a DD coil

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Anyone around here have any experience specifically using the DD coil with the 250?

I broke my 9x12 coil a couple of weeks ago (one of the ears broke off when I was hunting a farm field. Of course, when I was at the farthest spot from my car). So today I bought the 250 DD coil online, and was wondering if anyone knows what to expect with it. I've looked on you tube and tried googling it, but all I get is people asking the same question.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have much experience with the 9X12" but know it is a simple concentric coil. The DD puts out a different shaped field and is hot down the center from tip to heel. It is a little bit better in trash because the field is down the center like shown in the pic. The concentric coil needs to be over lapped a lot as the field at the bottom is around 2" round.

Attachments

• Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,127
OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Yes, but I am hoping for someone who has personal experience using, specifically, a dd coil with the ace 250.

thank you for taking the time to post. :)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Since you already ordered it, you will most likely be the one educating us! I do have a Garrett Ace 250 with 10x14 DD, but not the one made by Garrett, it is the Excelerator coil by Detech of Bulgaria.

Some of the Detech coils are better than mfrs & some are not. I can't remember any comparison reviews of these 2 10x14 coils. I can tell you the Detech coil does go deeper than the Ace 250 stock coil, which would be the likely result of the coil being larger.

The deepest I had a dime give a correct ID on Ace 250 with stock coil was 4".
I planted a dime down 5" in our yard to test detectors. The 10x14 Excelerator coil got a strong ID lock on cent/dime every single time in several dozen passes, with sensitivity on 3. Best wishes & HH, George (MN)

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I think you are going to take it out of the box put it on your detector, go out side and marvel at what it's done to your 250. There's no huge learning curve. It's easier to pinpoint and it handles trashy ground better than the concentric. When you hear a target, you don't have to judge the oval, just a line from the tip to the heel of the coil. Once you have that axis, rotate 90 degrees and move the center of the coil over that first imaginary line. When the detector goes "ding" you you now have the point where the two axis intersect. And that is exactly where your target is.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 10x14 DD Excellerator on my 250 also. It separates targets better. Pinpointing is a little tricky at first. But it's easy once you get the hang of it. I pinpoint off the front of the coil. Plan on getting a DD for my tesoro this summer.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Thanks for all the replies! Hopefully I will get it in before the holiday weekend. I'm excited to try out the old spots to see what I missed. ;D

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I bought the Excellerator 10 x 14 a couple years ago and have not taken it off. It will find a dime/penny down to 8". When I pinpoint, the object is directly below the X, in the word Excellerator.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
So far I have about ten hours with the new coil. (hey, it's hot out there)

I think you are going to take it out of the box put it on your detector, go out side and marvel at what it's done to your 250

Well, you are right about that. I am wondering why everything rings up as a belltone, essentially making discrimination on the machine useless. It is a little better on land than in water, but I am thinking I will save it for the farm fields after harvest, when I dig every single little peep. I have dug more rusty bottle caps than I thought possible this weekend, and three quarters. All rang up as quarters. :dontknow: *sigh* I'll give it another couple of weeks, get about 30 more hours on it, but so far I am a little disappointed with it. Not because I'm not finding much, but because all the trash sounds like a good signal now. Discouraging when I think of all the trash I've already pulled out of the ground!

Then summer will be here, and hopefully I will have made a decision on what water machine I can afford (lol, not which one I really want) and will be spending many hours imitating a fish. Maybe I'll take my camera out and see if I can post some pics, I've never used it underwater before, I hope the seals are still good!

BTW, my Ace 250 will be paying for my new water detector. It also paid for the new coil. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread