So I bought a g-500 at an auction, is this any good? I am brand new to the hobby

Wcpedorc

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2011
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett G-500
So I have always wanted to get into metal detecting, but I could never afford it, today I got almost 2 g-500's. They were from a county auction. I see these may be law enforcementbmodels, how would that affect how they work? They both power on I got 3 small coils, and 2 huge ones, but one of those is broken, they came in 2 Garrett bags, one is missing the pole that connects the coil to the unit. I have powered them up, but don't know anything about how to use them, please help, thank you!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard of a G-500. :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Its a GTA 500 Ultra only with different icons, representing the same conductivity as firearm ammo. It's a good machine. That was my first Garrett and found thousands of coins with mine. You may have to make a new ID onj the meter as to where what coins read where. Below is a field test of the GTA 500.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garretts-ultra-gta-500

Attachments

• gta500con.jpg
    gta500con.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,687
OP
OP
W

Wcpedorc

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2011
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett G-500
John-Edmonton said:
Its a GTA 500 Ultra only with different icons, representing the same conductivity as firearm ammo. It's a good machine. That was my first Garrett and found thousands of coins with mine. You may have to make a new ID onj the meter as to where what coins read where. Below is a field test of the GTA 500.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garretts-ultra-gta-500
Yeah it looks just like this, but without the left part of the scale it also has a lead and copper scale, and some other stuff. The site is not letting me post pictures, I can't even click on it. Does anyone know where I can get an extra extendable shaft piece? The second one from the auction is missing it, otherwise I have 2 working detectors. So I can learn with a friend. Any tips on how to learn to operate one of these?

OP
OP
W

Wcpedorc

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2011
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett G-500
Treasure_Hunter said:
Thet are listed on Garretts website, but no reviews I could find. It runs at 7khz freq....

Here is so info on it, can't find the Garrett link at the moment...
http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=112

Here is a link for the owners manual for it...
http://www.svcard.com/photos/download/met/Investigator G-500.pdf

Is 7khz frequency a good thing? Thanks for the manual link it shows the display so everyone can see it as I can't post any pictures for some reason.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links and info everybody. I thought it would be something like a GTI or whatever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions