5.6 grams stamped 14k but comes up as silver on detecter?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
MrPoptop said:
Is it gold?
Does it come up as in silver range because of mass?

Heavy gold rings and bunched up gold chains are prone to breaking into the upper range. What seems to be silver turns out to be big gold once in a blue moon.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not the mass or the weight that the detector "sees" but the conductivity. Gold is alloyed with many metals some with lower and higher conductivity. If you are going by the screen you are leaving lots of valuables for me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are going to have to learn that what the detector read out tells you.................Is not always the truth...................... If it is marked 14K then it has a 99% chance of being Gold ........ But the read out says Silver it has a 1% chance of being Silver................. Take my word it is Gold............Detector numbers and icons lie to you all the time....................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Its not the mass or the weight that the detector "sees" but the conductivity. Gold is alloyed with many metals some with lower and higher conductivity. If you are going by the screen you are leaving lots of valuables for me.
Sandman is right.............

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Tests have been done on a certain machine, if I remember correctly, about 15% of gold rings break free of the mid tone into the high pitch response, but this was an analog machine. But since the characteristics of audio/digital target response are based on raw target conductivity (with vlf machines specifically) I would say that about 95% of decent vlf machines will react the same way to the same 15% of gold rings, that is to say, assuming the particular machine has target id, that it will display into the 80% range (highly conductive) of the digital readout, and also have a nice corresponding high pitch audio response (if that particular machine has variable audio response), about 90% of the time, depending on the user, machine, conditions, etc. These particular rings are massive, so conductivity rises, so they show higher range. Which brings up another good point. Conductivity is directly proportional to size as well as alloy. That's why massive gold gives higher response, it's bigger. Don't forget depth. The deeper, the less the target "conducts". A small $1 US gold coin at 4" will probably not sound highly conductive, probably show id around pull tab let's say. But a double eagle at 4" will sound like a silver dime at 4", it's big so it's highly conductive. Like big gold rings and big bunched up gold necklaces. Small silver coins like half dimes at 5 or 6 inches easily read high conductive. Small silver coins like half dimes at 10" may just show up like iron. I have dug plenty of old shoe eyelets at 3 or 4" that sounded good and round and gold. Its madness.

OP
OP
MrPoptop

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
Thanks for all the replies and good info sandman.. and I will take it to a jewler when I get a couple more to sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions