Leaker......update......going back a 3rd time!!!!!!!!!

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
''I had to send my ATP back a 2nd time because the pin point option failed. It would hum at the same level when the button was pressed and the audio would not increase or decrease, no matter how close an item was to it. ''

WOW!!!!!! I'm dealing with same problem for a month now and stuck using the sniper coil for easy recoveries..I have to send it in soon :'( :'( I wish I had a back up MD,oh well :-[

vanner1

Jun 21, 2011
Sorry to hear about the leak, that must be frustrating. One thing I may have missed : is this an upgrade model AT Pro? or is it an older unit prior to upgrade that hasnt been upgraded with the new 2 year warranty, Im really hoping that with the upgrade, the leaks and problems have been addressed and resolved and the problems are a thing of the past. I just have mine back from getting the upgrade, and at $110 return postage to Aussie, I dont want to do it twice

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vanner1 said:
Sorry to hear about the leak, that must be frustrating. One thing I may have missed : is this an upgrade model AT Pro? or is it an older unit prior to upgrade that hasnt been upgraded with the new 2 year warranty, Im really hoping that with the upgrade, the leaks and problems have been addressed and resolved and the problems are a thing of the past. I just have mine back from getting the upgrade, and at $110 return postage to Aussie, I dont want to do it twice
I hope for you as well. Shipping from Australia to the US cant be cheap. Keep us posted how the upgraded model is working for you.

rws51

May 12, 2009
send it back to garretts for repair. maybe you will get lucky and UPS will lose the package. there is no excuse for all these problems.

pro778

Jan 21, 2008
Forked River, Moorestown, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 E-TRAC
I've been using my AT Pro for 9 months. I learned to live with the falsing and the wobbly shaft. I never tried it in the water. I was going to start using it in the water now. That's the main reason I got it. I sold a Seahunter so I could get it. I also have an Ace 250. They were both great. I was really happy with both machines. So I figured the At Pro would be great too. Luckily I saw the post on the leaking and figured I better check it under water. So I didn't turn it on and put it a foot under water for 30 seconds. Sure enough, water under the screen. Now I have to pay to ship it back and $39 for the upgrades that should have been done to begin with. I'm really sad that Garrett put this out without more testing. I think it'll be a long time before I look at another Garrett.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to take a shower with mine and then unfasten the control box from the shaft and then I'm really gonna have at it at least ten inches deep in my big 3 gallon sauce pot I'm gonna throw bricks on it to hold it deep down, I'm essentially making atpro de jour with the frikin thing as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. Pics soon.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used mine in the water 4 months before it leaked. Garrett said it wouldnt leak again when I got it back. I put it underwater on a 10 hour hunt the first day, and have had it in the water about 50 hours so far with no more problems yet. If it leaks again Ill send it for repairs again. I love this machine.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'm sympathetic to all who've had problems with the AT Pro. The land problems were fixed starting with March production & Garrett can tell you by serial number if you have the improved version for land. I have post-February model so OK for land?

I'm thinking the improved leakage protection units just started with those that have the camlocks? So I may need to send mine in for that. If I wait until Dec 26 or 27th to send it in, I can get 1/2 year added to warranty if not too late.

Model was rushed to market, a gamble but detectorists wanting something new & not wanting to wait. Garrett had no recently designed detector above Ace series. The older units had arm rests not shaped like arms, maybe too big & heavy, but good IDs.

I got a 7" deep dime within first 5 hours of use, STD mode, sens 7 of 8, high disc. 7" is the deepest dime I've found with correct visual ID, most do 3"-5" with correct ID. And with this soil being mineralized 7" ties my all-time record depth since 1976. But find Pro mode not as much to my liking, me or detector problem, don't know.

The only other current detectors I'm aware of that retail for under $900 that might have correct ID at depth are Fisher Gold Bug DP & Teknetics G2, but they can't be submerged. And AT Pro outdoes them in air tests. Despite all their repair costs, I'm guessing Garrett will not raise the price on the AT Pro camlocks edition, making it the best overall detector under $900. Keep trying & report successes! HH, George (MN)

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Leaker......

Sandman said:
Only problem I had with is at every signal I was looking at the screen for the numbers. I am not used to that much info. I felt it slowed me up and took away some of the fun of being surprised. Will I use it again, Heck yeah!!

An old hand like you should know better than that :laughing7: :tongue3: Screens lie. Numbers lie. Tone signals on the other hand are a LOT more accurate :thumbsup:

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, been awhile since I have been on. I sent the ATP back a third time and they shipped me a brand new unit. Mine was one of the firsts and had all the problems. Michigan is to cold to swim now, but I am making a trip to SC and may take it for a dip there. I will let you know how it handled..... and if it was warm enough to hit the water. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread