What Detector should I buy

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
Hello all. Sorry this is my first posts and I suppose this question has been asked loads of times. I am retired and I like to walk taking pictures of nature and the other day I thought I might like to try my hand at metal detecting for fun while out walking. I would like to buy a nice quality detector for around 300 quid could anyone recommend one to me please.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T'Net and to the addiction! To start with I'd recommend either the Ace 250 or Ace 350. If you'll PM me I'll quote you a price on either one.

OP
OP
W

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
ThTx said:
Welcome to T'Net and to the addiction! To start with I'd recommend either the Ace 250 or Ace 350. If you'll PM me I'll quote you a price on either one.

PM sent.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
I agree with one of the above posters. The Garrett Ace 250 or 350 are excellent starter units. Look offer a package that gives you options to get extra stuff. The main thing to get extra would be the Garrett Propointer, next behind that I suggest getting a Sniper coil (a small coil). Good hunting!

OP
OP
W

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
relicswinger said:
I agree with one of the above posters. The Garrett Ace 250 or 350 are excellent starter units. Look offer a package that gives you options to get extra stuff. The main thing to get extra would be the Garrett Propointer, next behind that I suggest getting a Sniper coil (a small coil). Good hunting!

not sure how to get around this site yet so you will have to put up with me. Thank you for your replies.

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a ACE 250 and loved it. If they had the ACE 350 back when I first started I would have gotten that one. I have recently purchased an AT PRO and cant wait till it gets here.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Detector first and Garrett Propointer second! ESPECIALLY if you're retired!!! I'm also retired and that Propointer has saved me countless hours of digging. At our age (not being 20 anymore) I don't have the energy to do all the digging plus the stress it puts on your joints. As you get better you'll do even more digging. The ACE will find your object in a clod of dug dirt but the propointer will tell you quickly where it is in that clod of dirt! You'll see! If you go out to hunt and forget your propointer you'll probably go back just to get it...that's how much you'll like it! Third, I'd probably get the sniper coil. Forth, maybe a larger coil because by then you'll know if you even like the hobby and/or if you have the energy to do the deeper digging by things found with the larger coil. You're making a good choice for a 1st detector...just make the propointer a close 2nd! You won't regret it!

OP
OP
W

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
bclark said:
I started out with a ACE 250 and loved it. If they had the ACE 350 back when I first started I would have gotten that one. I have recently purchased an AT PRO and cant wait till it gets here.

Thank you for your help

OP
OP
W

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
sandtrout said:
Detector first and Garrett Propointer second! ESPECIALLY if you're retired!!! I'm also retired and that Propointer has saved me countless hours of digging. At our age (not being 20 anymore) I don't have the energy to do all the digging plus the stress it puts on your joints. As you get better you'll do even more digging. The ACE will find your object in a clod of dug dirt but the propointer will tell you quickly where it is in that clod of dirt! You'll see! If you go out to hunt and forget your propointer you'll probably go back just to get it...that's how much you'll like it! Third, I'd probably get the sniper coil. Forth, maybe a larger coil because by then you'll know if you even like the hobby and/or if you have the energy to do the deeper digging by things found with the larger coil. You're making a good choice for a 1st detector...just make the propointer a close 2nd! You won't regret it!

Is this a good detector for a beginner its on ebay at the momement

AT Pro Garrett Metal Detector

What is a propointer ??

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard of a quid, but I have no idea what it's worth relative to the US dollar, uh I guess I can recommend the Jetco Mustang for a starter detector. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
W

warrie

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2011
fistfulladirt said:
I have heard of a quid, but I have no idea what it's worth relative to the US dollar, uh I guess I can recommend the Jetco Mustang for a starter detector. Hope this helps.

In Ireland we used the word quid for a pound note years ago. I am a Cork man and we used the word all the time when I lived there. in relation to the dollar I think the rate is $1 .25 to out pound but we are now EURO. UK still have their pound.
Thank you for your advise. John

just looking at ebay os eother of these detectors any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-Ace-2...70777111653?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3f0b92d465

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290583783222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread