AT Pro in the ocean

Slugrusher

Alright. Got out of bed early. 0530 hrs in order to hit low and slack tide at the beach.

Hunted up to my neck with the ATP in Pro Zero, going btwn one and two notches bumped off of sensitivity.

Is it me or should I have at least found a fishing hook? Nuthin', nada, zip. Back on the beach I found a lot of
Bud-Lite caps around the volleyball courts.

Suggestions. It is a well used beach area by the boardwalk.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For starters, place a coin about 6 inches down in the wet sand to test if the Pro will find it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors need to be tested on various targets near where you are thinking of searching. This gives you an idea of how it operates that day and location. Not all of the same make or model are the same as for performance.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slugrusher said:
Alright. Got out of bed early. 0530 hrs in order to hit low and slack tide at the beach.

Hunted up to my neck with the ATP in Pro Zero, going btwn one and two notches bumped off of sensitivity.

Is it me or should I have at least found a fishing hook? Nuthin', nada, zip. Back on the beach I found a lot of

I Just got back from several days at the ocean myself with my AT PRO. In the surf and WET sand Nuthin', Nada, zip. I tried every combo of settings I could of think of. Finally in Pro mode , Zero. I moved the Iron disc up to 40 and the sensitivity all the way down to 1 bar and the ground balance was at 72. That did quiet the detector down but, I DID NOT find a single target in wet sand or the surf. There was a guy out there with me that was using a Minelab Explorer SE pro . He was digging targets in the wet sand and 1 foot deep ocean water, so I know there was targets to be had.
Now in the DRY sand the AT PRO did ok in standard coin setting and in the pro coin setting.
The setting that did the best on dry sand was Pro mode , Zero. I moved the Iron disc up to 40 and the sensitivity all the way up to all bars and the ground balance was at 80. I was easily digging coin targets and led sinkers at the 10 to 12 inch range.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
extractor said:
Slugrusher said:

I Just got back from several days at the ocean myself with my AT PRO. In the surf and WET sand Nuthin', Nada, zip. I tried every combo of settings I could of think of. Finally in Pro mode , Zero. I moved the Iron disc up to 40 and the sensitivity all the way down to 1 bar and the ground balance was at 72. That did quiet the detector down but, I DID NOT find a single target in wet sand or the surf. There was a guy out there with me that was using a Minelab Explorer SE pro . He was digging targets in the wet sand and 1 foot deep ocean water, so I know there was targets to be had.
Now in the DRY sand the AT PRO did ok in standard coin setting and in the pro coin setting.
The setting that did the best on dry sand was Pro mode , Zero. I moved the Iron disc up to 40 and the sensitivity all the way up to all bars and the ground balance was at 80. I was easily digging coin targets and led sinkers at the 10 to 12 inch range.
Does this mean that the AT Pro is not a good detector for the surf or wet sand..???????? ??? ??? Every thing i see about the AT and Surf and wet sand has not been good....

yellerstang

Jul 2, 2011
Northumberland County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is how I set my AT Pro at the beach:

Dry sand:

Pro mode, discrimination at 35, rolling audio on, manually ground balance to 20 or under (Chesapeake Bay Beach area and a few weeks ago at Myrtle Beach, SC)

Take your time, turn your sensitivity down about 3 notches. Keep looking, be patient.

Wet sand: Same set up, but lower your ground balance numbers, go to about 13-16.

In the water: As above, again, take your time.

I found a silver ear ring, tons of crap metal (Corona tops are everywhere), and lots of clad coins. Bobby pins are the scourge of the beach. Listen to what the machine is saying, then dig it anyway. You will get a feel for what its saying to you.

Clad coins may ring out as junk if they are breaking down from the salt water, so dont be afraid to dig the trashy tones, you might get a nice find.

Some users are ground balancing way down to 0-5, I havent had to try that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread