Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not that I'm a resident expert by any means but my Ace 350 has found 2 rings, 2 earrings and a silver and gold crucifix in my short two months of dirt fishing, all in the dirt none in water. Size and material the ring/jewelry is made of will determine where it registers on the detector. The silver gold crucifix showed up in the foil range on the 350 but sounded off like a penny. I think that had to do with it being right up at the ground surface and was just under some grass clippings from the last cutting. It no doubt was a recent deposit.

Take a ring or two of different metal and do some air tests and even go as far as planting them in the ground to test your detector to see how they register.

Cliff

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
Silver rings generally ring up as dimes or quarters. Gold is more problematic since they fall in the range of many types of pull tabs and even foil. From reading of the forums and from people I know, it seems that the people who are willing to dig the most aluminum junk are also the ones who find the most gold stuff. There is no magic number for gold.

Jerry

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the catch when hunting rings, gold rings in particular: you have to leave your discrimination set very low. If you discriminate anything above iron, you will start losing rings.

The reason for this simple: gold jewelry is mixed with other metal alloys to make it stronger. Ever notice how much stronger a 10k ring is over a 24k ring? That's because there are more base metals, and less gold, in the 10k ring.

Gold jewelry therefore falls all over the place on the conductivity scale, and unfortunately for us, will in many cases read the same as foil or pull tabs to the control box of your detector.

So to get the jewelry, you have to be willing to dig trash, trash, and lots more trash.

It is almost impossible to avoid. You can dig over 100 pieces of trash before you ever hit jewelry. But if you want it, that is the price to be paid.

For some, it is more aggravation than its worth, and they strictly hunt coins or relics. Nothing wrong with that either. :icon_thumleft:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's tough for most people to find rings. Very tough. For the people who have talent and find a lot of rings, it's tough for them too.
Unless you are at virgin beach site used for 80 years. Here, the rings will be found with much ease.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used gtax550 tor about twelve years now and typical gold ring will fall in the range three maybe four curser
spots to the right of a nickel never found a silver ring with the 550

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions