GARRETT AT GOLD GETS ITS FIRST HUNT TODAY...That 5" x 8" DD Coil Is Sweet!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
GARRETT AT GOLD GETS IT'S FIRST HUNT TODAY...That 5" x 8" DD Coil Is Sweet!

ATGOLDFIRSTHUNT.jpg

I received my AT Gold late this afternoon, so I quickly assembled it, put on that 5" x 8" DD search coil and headed to the woods near-by to see how it performs. These woods have been hunted before. I won't say they have been pounded to death, as that is simply not the case. There have been large cents, silver coins and some nice jewellery found in the past 20 years or so. Now gold rings or nuggets didn't come flying out at me nor did hundreds of silver coins. But I did get an introduction as to how this fine new entry to the Garrett line operates. And that new 5" x 8" is a welcomed addition to the AT metal detector line. I found nice variety of targets including junk, coins and relics. The weather was great, and the hunt lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

ALLATGOLDHUNT.jpg

Here are the total finds of the day. The outside perimeter of the woods was very high in junk targets, especially some of that melted aluminum, some buried tinfoil and iron junk. Hunting in all metal was not an option. So, I switched to DISC 1, with my iron set to 30. This program is similar to the AT Pro in PRO MODE. I had the option of running the iron audio either on or off. I chose to keep it off, but set the threshold so I could hear a constant humming. As I wandered further away from the perimeter of the woods, I switched to all metal (which is a true all metal) and again made adjustments to hear some audio threshold. Once the threshold is set, you either wait for a signal, or listen for an increase in audio, which alerts you to a deep signal. That would be the preferred way to hunt looking for small nuggets.

coil-1.jpg

Now this 5" x 8" coil is fantastic! It gets nice depth and is very sensitive to the most tiniest pieces of metal in the soil. And with a positive threshold, you get an increase in audio before you get the coil over the target. A nice feature to have, when searching in very thick brush of fist sizes rocks.

newvdi.jpg

VDISTWO.jpg

Here are a number of examples of how the different types of targets were identified on the AT GOLD. I actually took a tape measure with me along with a note book and pen to write down the reading so as to include them in this hunt. These results should give some good information to both new hunters and seasoned hunters. The air rifle lead pellets and 22 slug gave off a nice clear audio. This new coil ROCKS! I am am looking forward to trying this coil on the AT Pro, and also putting my 9" x 12" concentric coil on the AT Gold. This machine should be an excellent nugget hunter due to it's higher operating frequency of 18 kHz.

For more information on this new metal detector...click on the link below:

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_main.aspx

And finally, the find of the day........an old play dime. :)

Attachments

• THIN DIME.jpg
    THIN DIME.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 508

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: GARRETT AT GOLD GETS IT'S FIRST HUNT TODAY...That 5" x 8" DD Coil Is Sweet!

Whoaa!

Lemme guess. You are an official pre release test model recipient?

I wondered how those preset modes worked. Wont let you modify the disc in these modes? I have been wondering about that coil.... maybe I'll pick one up for the Pro.

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

john nice post :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

crackerjohn said:
john, i know its not recomended for saltwater is their anychance you can run it in saltwater just see how it does ? , im going to

buy an at pro here reel soon but i would love to get the gold,but i hunt alot of saltwater, i may just wait to get the gold begin of

next year for relic huntin around here where i live their are a couple of freshwater swimholes i would like to hit in the winter when

the gator's are little slow and their is so much trash in the water with my current machine was immposible but with the AT'S

should be great. anyway let me know if you can great post today :icon_pirat:

I don'y have any saltwater here, just freshwater lakes. I can't really comment on how it wood work. But as you mentioned, the manual does state that it's not recommended for salt water or wet sand.

John

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used

Lakemonster said:
Whoaa!

Lemme guess. You are an official pre release test model recipient?

I wondered how those preset modes worked. Wont let you modify the disc in these modes? I have been wondering about that coil.... maybe I'll pick one up for the Pro.

You can't notch out any targets on the AT GOLD, but on the plus side:

First mode is a true, deep seeking all met mode, which not only gives you a VDI number, but also incorporates the iron audio, which can be adjusted and shut off with users discretion.

DISC 1 is zero discrimination mode like on the AT Pro PRO mode.

DISC 2 is coins mode like the one on the AT Pro for cherry picking sites

Add to this adjustable threshold plus the ability to add a range, not just one number for ground balancing, and you have a wonderful piece of technology designed to excell with ability to hunt tiny gold nuggets and also work well as a coin and relic hunter.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_main.aspx

Attachments

• dd pro small coil.jpg
    dd pro small coil.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 342

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread