PinPointing/target centering with the ATPro

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody had problems digging up a target after pin pointing with the AtPro and finding it's not even close?

I dunno, I have been metal detecting for over 30yrs and have never had such issues with a metal detector before. I have watched the video on the Garret website on pinpointing, and I usually go across the target making a + sign over it, but 70 to 80% of the time its just not where I think it should be. To me the center of the double D coil is that first opening above where the coil can tilt up or down.

I will dig a plug in the ground and it just not there, its maybe 1 to 3 inches off of where I think is center, and its pretty consistent. So I am scratching my head on this one.

AtProDon

Bill_S

Sep 29, 2010
I have no problems pinpointing with mine. I know you have been detecting a long time but make sure the machine is ground balanced. I had trouble pinpointing one time but it was because the ground balance was way off.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since its a DD coil, try this...... Lay a coin on the clean ground and make the detector respond to it. Then while sweeping the coil back and forth slowly, the "Minelab Wiggle," pull the coil slowly toward you till the signal stops. Now slowly slide the coil forward and when you hear the tone, STOP. The coin is just off the front (tip) of the coil. Soon you won't even be pushing the pinpoint button. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Since its a DD coil, try this...... Lay a coin on the clean ground and make the detector respond to it. Then while sweeping the coil back and forth slowly, the "Minelab Wiggle," pull the coil slowly toward you till the signal stops. Now slowly slide the coil forward and when you hear the tone, STOP. The coin is just off the front (tip) of the coil. Soon you won't even be pushing the pinpoint button. :thumbsup:
Like Sandman said the Minelab Wiggle...........

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,121

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your not the only one, i too miss the target by a few inches 70-80% of the time. i keep telling myself i need to learn the machine better. i have a mxt with a dd coil on it and it is dead on 99% of the time.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had trouble to start with, but with some practice, you'll get the hang of it. Going from a concentric coil to a double-d takes a little getting used to. As Sandman suggested drop a coin and practice. Use the pinpoint button as well as the Minelab wiggle. In a little time you'll decide which works better for you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT pro doesnt pinpoint as precise as my ACE 250, but Im getting a pro pointer, so I dont care.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought bigger dds would be difficult to pinpoint with, until I started using them. Garrett notwithstanding. Boy, was I wrong!
If you do not know how to detune a tector in pp mode, you will have the devil trying to pp accurately, even with a concentric.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:

I was reading this last night and remembered my pp on the at pro took a turd a few months ago..So,in the mean time I was using the sniper coil for easy recoveries in the field...This morning I tried this method for a few hr's at the park and it works like charm!!Big thanks Sandman for posting this :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rob.s said:
Sandman said:

I was reading this last night and remembered my pp on the at pro took a turd a few months ago..So,in the mean time I was using the sniper coil for easy recoveries in the field...This morning I tried this method for a few hr's at the park and it works like charm!!Big thanks Sandman for posting this :icon_thumright:

Your Welcome.

Sandman

OP
OP
ATPRoDon

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

I'm going to try this next time I go out. What I have been doing is the PP version, and my issue is once I have the strongest signal while holding PP, then I slide the coil back while holding PP until the sound stops at the tip of the coil, but then as I slide it forward instead of it stopping at the back of the coil its stopping somewhere between say the middle and the back, and thats what is throwing me off. This doesn't always happen, but its enough to bug me.

AtProDon

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Try deeper targets too, say 4 to 6 inches, try silver dimes and real copper cents, not zinc. Shallow targets tend to overload the tector in pp mode, it is not a good test for pp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread