AT Pro sniffs out some battlefield relics

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend & I went out to some private property that was a battlefield 150 years ago and hunted for a few hours on Monday. Key saves included this 3-ringer at about 10”. Signal was weak, no VDI but a good repeatable high tone. And this “poker chip”. I think it's from a pounded out musket ball, not the typical 3-ringer chip you see most often. It was about 6” deep and on edge. When I came upon it, I got two identical signals about a foot apart, I thought I'd found a couple of bullets. I decided to dig one, then the other. Upon digging down, I kept getting the signal, but I couldn't find it & the ProPointer couldn't find it either. After a few minutes I decided to expand the hole to the other target and within a couple of shovel scoops, it was out of the hole and the other signal was gone.

Other finds for the day included a few pieces of melted lead and a couple of whatsits. The small piece looks like a percussion cap base, but the top confuses me… The two clips are small and the eye/slots are tiny. They’re too small to be suspender clips, and I don’t think they are garter clips. I've also posted these items in the What Is It forum for help on identifying them.

Attachments

• DOT0001.JPG
    DOT0001.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DOT0007.JPG
    DOT0007.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 289
  • DOT0003.JPG
    DOT0003.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 592
  • DOT0004.JPG
    DOT0004.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 636
  • DOT0005.JPG
    DOT0005.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DOT0001.JPG
    DOT0001.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 294
  • DOT0007.JPG
    DOT0007.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 308
  • DOT0003.JPG
    DOT0003.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 591
  • DOT0004.JPG
    DOT0004.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 596

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that AT PRO is finding some small stuff, makes my choice of the AT PRO even feel better.... :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Dwight S

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
relicminer said:
Man that AT PRO is finding some small stuff, makes my choice of the AT PRO even feel better.... :icon_thumleft:

The AT Pro will find small stuff, and that's with the sensitivity down two notches, I can't run my sensitvity full while I swing in the cotton stubble at this site, I get some falsing. NOTE: I couldn't run sensitivity full using my White's XLT either, I tried it...

I find that if I get a good signal that is repeatable but with no VDI, then I'll increase sensitvity to full and slowly sweep the target. This will usually give me a number...

Also, with the small stuff, a pinpointer is a must have!

The small item pictured above was ID'd as a boot eye-hook. Funny thing, two of these were recovered from this field, a couple of hundred feet apart...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread