Awendaw, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not sure what beach you are at, but I bought a brand new Sea Hunter last month and it finds things so deep it is frustrating. I live on Indian Rocks Beach in SW Florida and I go out almost every morning (many detectors can attest to that I see). I generally start off running it at zero elimination, standard trash and threshold at about 3 for a nice steady low tone. I also use the larger coil. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks now and I have not found anything of value YET. But going deep is NO problem. I swear I found a piece of iron the size of a fingernail clipping about 16" down in the wet sand. Talk about frustrating!!! Iron litters Indian Rocks beach mostly from an old shipwreck years ago. If I can ever figure out how to discriminate against IRON I will be one happy camper, because I believe without a doubt the Sea Hunter goes WAAAYYYY deeper than the Excalibur. I dug for about 15 minutes last week in the wet sand with the ocean starting to fill in some of my hole. I dug about 2 feet with my steel tip aluminum RTG scope (a must have) for an 8" long half inch round rusted pipe. Not happy with that find. Anyhow if your sea hunter doesn't go over 8 inches you need to send it back to garrett or change beaches. Come to my beach and we can both dig iron.

OP
OP
A

Awendaw

Feb 27, 2012
Awendaw, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did call garrett today and left a message with their tech but with no return call. I've been hunting isle of palms and sullivans island beaches on the sc coast. Mostly bobbi pins and some clad but none real deep. Like I said the threshold on normal comes and goes

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Going out almost every morning for 6 weeks an not finding anything of value is not a good sign, unless the beach wasn't popular at all or everyone hunts it as much as you, I would question the abilities of my detector.

1} There's depth and there's depth. 8 inches is a lot deeper than people think.

2} Are you getting depth on junk, or are you getting depth on treasure? There's a big difference.

3} Are you able to get good depth in salt water? Or are you basing depth that you get on wet sand towards how much depth you think your getting in salt water? Once again, there is a big difference. No detector manufacturer gives a dam about salt water environments, I've used many brands in salt water and they all seem to suffer performance greatly, unless dead calm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread