harebearva

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
S.W. Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does have an external speaker. A fair number of headphones these days are using a 1/8" mini stereo plug and the 250 has a 1/4" stereo plug input which may require a small adapter plug. If that's the case and he is unplugging headphones but leaving the adapter in, it will disable the external speaker. Removing the adapter as well will allow the external to work. If this isn't the case, then I suspect you have an internal problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 250 and never had to use an adapter. It sounds like there's a problem with the speakers, which is not entirely a bad thing :laughing9:

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info I will go over to his house and check and see if the adapter is still in the machine it's a possibility. Thanks for the info and good hunting.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal spring can lose its tension if headphones are left in full time or the metal used wasn't manufactured at the right temperature. Some cheap headphones can cause trouble as they sometimes over plate the plug making it to large. You can open up the detector and rebend slightly though the fault will tend to happen again.

Could just be the speaker wire has just come adrift which is a two minute repair once the detector is open. In either case if in warranty I would let Garrett do the repair.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another trick to try is to plug and unplug the headphones about ten times, sometimes dirty contacts can affect the connection.

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you talking about it having a constant hum, like other models do? or it doesn't make a sound with a known target? my ace 250 doesn't sound until i hit a target with or without headphones. so is mine broken too?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no tone (threshold) until a target is found under the coil.

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does have an external speaker. A fair number of headphones these days are using a 1/8" mini stereo plug and the 250 has a 1/4" stereo plug input which may require a small adapter plug. If that's the case and he is unplugging headphones but leaving the adapter in, it will disable the external speaker. Removing the adapter as well will allow the external to work. If this isn't the case, then I suspect you have an internal problem. Hope this helps.
That's what it was thanks for the fix and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions