Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an explanation for it but I can't remember what it is.

Some people have stated that this could "increase the depth" of the pinpointer which doesn't make any sense to me. How deep do you want the pinpointer to go?

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people have stated that this could "increase the depth" of the pinpointer which doesn't make any sense to me. How deep do you want the pinpointer to go?

I never understood that either. I thought the purpose of a pinpointer was to get CLOSER to the object.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood that either. I thought the purpose of a pinpointer was to get CLOSER to the object.
I find it great for those objects at the 4 in level stops me digging a 10 in hole like I find in most parks ( I often find the coin the goof left behind in that hole) so getting close is not the greatest thing)

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
The purpose of a pin pointer is in the name "Pin Point" to zoom in or narrow the search area to a small area "point".

I did some posting on how to "Super-Tune" a Garrett Pro-Pointer back in 2008 well before videos on YouTube appeared.
"Gold" detectors are more sensitive to tiny gold pickers than a Pro-Pointer out of the box, so the purpose was to increase the sensitivity of the Pro-Pointer so it could be used as a pinpointer when prospecting and Gold panning................and it works really well.

A Pro-Pointer is a metal detector.
By increasing the sensitivity to small items the detection distance to coin size items also increased, just like increasing the sensitivity or gain on a normal size metal detector.

If you go Gold prospecting "Super-Tuning' is very handy to know...........if you go coin hunting it's not required.

It is simply a matter of using a tool as effectively as possible.

ivanll

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can sensitize or desensitize a Pro-Pointer. To increase dpeth, slide a coin back from the tip until it stops alerting, it should almost double the depth.This is handy when you aren't getting a signal in the hole and want to know how much farther away you are from the target.

To desensitize it, hold as close to the target as you can, then turn it off and back on. This in effect ground balances the Propointer. Now it will only alert when you are right on the target. It's effective to use when you are looking for a very small target in a pile of dirt.

I've been told that sliding the coin causes the "pattern" to push outward from the tip.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread