Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the funniest part ( and I am new to this forum) is that this is a GARRETT FORUM, and we have people who don't use them, don't like them, and are obviously biased towards them monitoring and speaking out against them. You know, I've collected indian artifacts for a lot of years and I met all kinds of folks while attending shows, etc. Most of them were good people who were very enthusiastic about the hobby, always ready to talk about their latest finds, etc. The others were arrogant snobs who purchased most of the artifacts they had, and they won all kinds of awards for the large beautiful collections they had of rare expensive artifacts they didn't find themselves. They looked down on the folks who couldn't afford fancy cases for their mediocre artifacts that they found themselves through years of hard walking. I have won my own awards for some great personally found artifacts that didn't cost much more than time and a little gas money.
I was hoping this forum would be different. I've got folks rubbing their $1500 detectors in my face, looking down their nose at my AT Pro, and downright insulting my Bounty Hunter 505! I can tell you this; the 505 was all I could afford then, and I have found a ton of coins with that detector! I pulled over 60 quarters in less than 3 hours with it one day. It has found me some silver, and even a gold ring which partially funded the upgrade to the AT Pro. Obviously, I can see a big difference between the Pro and the 505. But seriously, if you think you have to own a $1500 detector to find stuff, then I feel sorry for you!
So maybe you can come behind me and find a few coins I missed. That's fine! Feel free to follow behind me at all the good spots. I'll fill my pockets with goodies, and you can burn an afternoon trying to prove the worth of your machine by picking up a half dozen coins I missed. Sounds like a plan to me!!
Bottom line: I really like my Pro, and for the money, it works fantastically!

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the funniest part ( and I am new to this forum) is that this is a GARRETT FORUM, and we have people who don't use them, don't like them, and are obviously biased towards them monitoring and speaking out against them.
An honest opinion was requested,and honest opinion was given. Don't get all butthurt because you disagree with somebody else's opinion.
Nobody is served by "talking up" something you had a bad experience with. If somebody asks my honest opinion and experiences, they will get it.

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is my first detector. While I think it is likely that I am still on a learning curve, I am finding the curve to be relatively easy. I have only been hunting for a couple weeks. I hunt in areas filled with trash. At first, I was digging many caps, etc. After 2 weeks, I now dig far more coins and jewelry than I do caps. I have found dimes at 10+ inches with no issue, in the middle of trash fields. I doubt anyone could pick up any new detector, use it once or twice, and understand the specifics of how to use it, even if they are very experienced on another brand. The AT Pro, in Pro mode, has very fat recovery times that make it difficult for some. When I get a hit on a target, I use the "iron audio" function to see if it is likely trash. I slow the swing and listen to the "roll off" audio, which tells me if it is a coin or a cap. Sometimes, in very trashy areas, I keep it in a standard mode to discriminate the garbage, and then switch it to pro mode when I get a hit, to hear the "roll off" audio. This all seems to work well for me. I get great depth and dig less and less trash as time passes.
Overall, I am very pleased with my choice. The AT Pro is easy to use, and probably as easy if not easier to learn than many other detectors. Waterproof. Lightweight. Hits dimes easily at 10"+. So far, has worked in every environment I have used it in, from beach to park. In the very first day, I was able to accurately pinpoint with no issue whatsoever, and without even reading the manual. in fact, I still haven't read the manual all the way through. No need. It is pretty intuitive.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An honest opinion was requested,and honest opinion was given. Don't get all butthurt because you disagree with somebody else's opinion.
Nobody is served by "talking up" something you had a bad experience with. If somebody asks my honest opinion and experiences, they will get it.

I'm sorry, but your the one trying to trash this detector. You spent a few minutes with one, couldn't figure it out, and gave up. The AT Pro is far from being a beginner machine! I can tell you personally of the impressive sensitivity of this machine. I have dug two copper washers now (probably bushings of some sort) that were very tiny (1/4-3/8" diameter), paper thin, and deep! Plus they were among trash. I am skeptical of your earlier claim that you "got frustrated with it, went back your other detector, and pulled-up a whole bunch of coins in the same spot". Either there was something wrong with the detector, or the user, or you embellished a little.
I got a chance to compare my AT to my 505 (my brother was using it) today and was amazed at how much more I was finding than him. It was his first time detecting, so i give him a break, but it was 3 or 4 to one! I'm sure the $1500 detectors might be even that much better yet than the AT Pro, but I sure as hell can't justify spending the money on one. It's a hobby, not a career!
My experience is very close to MongoLloyd's. With time you really start understanding what the AT Pro is saying to you, and you can slow sweep an area and pick good targets out of piles of garbage. The more I use it, the more I like it. As a bonus, I was using it in the pouring rain today without worry! I was ready to give up before it was! Lol!!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Digs 68, I haven't had it but a few months, and I learn more all the time.
And in Diggits defense, I had just found an Indian head with perfect sound at about 8 inches, I covered the hole and the detector started acting up. Matter of fact it sounded like it was over a stove pipe no matter what I did. I called garrett and the lady on the phone said "I would hate for you to send it back because it might take a couple of weeks". She thought it was the coil and that is exactly what I was thinking.

She sent me a coil and said if it did not fix it to send it back. It was here in a couple of days, and fixed it. And I am really satisfied with the customer service. The machine has not let me down since. I believe there is better machines out there, and they will cost alot more than this one (I actually bought it BECAUSE it could go 10 ft underwater and i like to detect in the rain). But for the money, this is a kickin detector.

As I have said. How many of you have dug dried clay or caliche to 12 inches? Or 3 inch root matts at 4 inches? It goes that deep easily and the digging gets tough there. Would like a special machine for soft fields at 2 ft though!

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the AP Pro myself but I hunt with a friend who uses one regularly. What I know is that his machine will say 8" a lot for a target that is only 4-5" I have seen that myself so I think it may not be that accurate with depth. I dont know how it is on the beach just on the land. I have called him over several times where I had a silver dime showing at 6+" and his AP Pro could not locate it unless he was in pinpoint mode. Maybe its my soil around here, Im not sure. The AP Pro is good on detecting gold so if youre looking for rings and stuff, then thats the way to go.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I do not trust the depth indicator,, so cheesy! My XLT is so much better in that area. But neither of my excals have a meter at all. So I guess I have learned that as much as I like them, they are not totally needed.

But even with my diminished hearing I can come close to telling how deep it is, and the size of the target. And if the target is within 1/2 inch of the surface, shoe eyelet or quarter, it gives the distinctive double tone. That is kind of nice too. Like I said though, Maybe this will get worse for me, I have not had it that long.

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is my first detector I have ever owned or used. Anyone that thinks this is a hard machine to use must be a bit slow. Especially if you have used other machines before. After watching the videos on the Garrett website I was ready to go.(took about an hour) First time out I found an ax head, revolver, and lots of other stuff. I love the fact that it is always compared to machines that are 300-600 dollars more. That alone speaks volumes to me. I find dimes at 8 inches plus in the parks. I don't seem to have the problems of the #'s jumping around. I have used it in the parks and at the ocean and not had any problems. My brother has the AT Gold and he feels the same way. Its is the 1st machine he ever used and owned also. We hit the parks in Sacramento that are supposed to be completely hunted out, and we have pulled gold and silver rings. All I can say is I love mine, and I would love to go out with someone that has another machine just to really see how far superior there MD's really are, if they are. I live about 45 min east of Sacramento, up in the mountains. Hit me up, if you wanna go out, I'll even bring a camera so we have proof for the world.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"An honest opinion" would imply that you have considerable experience with the ATP and can offer an unbiased opinion as to its performance compared to the detectors you compared it to.
I don't think that is the case.
Can you make a good assessment of a car you haven't ever driven. You have just steered the OP wrong by giving him bad advise.
ZDD

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you AT fans, swing away!
You can use anything you want to justify your purchase,and nullify your bad choice. I will be happy to go after you with my DFX,MXT and F5 and get the stuff you missed.
Just like I have in the past.
The AT is not a bad choice...if you think its hard to use I feel sorry for your detecting skills. From all the positive replies about the AT, it looks like you stuck your foot in your mouth...hows it taste?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not even a cheap detector in some countries so doesn't come into the running on that basis alone.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am considering buying one. I use to make preliminary choices based on specs, and then decide to give it a try or not. The specs & features of the AT PRO are impressive enough to make me lean towards it. It cannot, given the specs and the renown qualities of garrett products, be what we call a "dude", and it cetainly must not be inferior to the MXT (which I know). It is just different.

Garrett offers a product that is meant to be used almost everywhere and in harsh conditions if needed. That's the kind of gear I like, and that's the main point about this machine. I had two XLT too, what the roblem is with these -equally excellent- detectors, is the design. Two of mine had broken upper stems (the worse to replace). The coil connector is not at the best possible place. But you cannot compare that kind of extremely "tweakable" units to the AT PRO. They are very different, and they even can complement each other.

That being said, my only fear about the AT PRO is the coil & headphones connectors. I walk allot to my hunting places, the detector is backpacked. I fear the connectors to be too fragile for repetitive use. Anyone an opinion hereover? Thanks.

Grumpy.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT breaks down allright, But I really do not like the headphone connector. It is not as easy to unscrew as one would think. I find that usually I need a flat screwdriver to lever it over a couple of turns. And don't forget the silicone for the O-ring. I believe I am going to get the adapter.

But the connections seem to be protected well enough from hazards.

But the Excall II coil and headphones do not remove at all, that is a bit cumbersome.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OleGrumpy there is a headphone adapter that can be used with other headphones, it plugs in under the armrest so it would alleviate your problem with backpacking. Just don't submerge the armrest when using the adapter.

Wayne

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have a AT Pro and i have no complaints with it ..... I think it is a very good detector....... the only thing i don't like about it is the headphone and coil connection..... For me i play heii trying to switch coils and put on the headphones...........And gleaner sorry but i think it is more than mid range detector.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not even a cheap detector in some countries so doesn't come into the running on that basis alone.
UK... What are you saying that in some countrys the AT Pro is a expensive detector...... So that it would be known as a high range detector ....... Or one of the best detectors.......... For as you know some think the more you pay for a detector the better it is......... It's not true but that is what they think...... But to me i like the AT Pro...

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The numbers bounce all over making it useless...might as well have a beep and dig machine.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find something that is not iffy (iron buckle, horseshoe, etc.) the numbers barely range a couple of digits. And the Indian head I found very deep, was a consistent number the whole time.

I admit, the iron stirrup I found at about 16 inches bounced a little bit.,, but the cavalry spur within a few feet of it at 12 inches did not.. Hmmmm, Maybe you were swingin over a pistol?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread