gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend to group regular vlf hobby machines into low, mid and upper ranges, based on price, low being up to 500, mid is 500 to 1000, and upper is 1000 to 1500+ dollars. This is what I meant as far as the atpro is concerned, it is a good detector at the lower end of the mid range of price. I have no problems with numbers jumping around on good regular round solid targets such as coins, rings, tokens, anything round and coin like. Foil, rust, rotten die cast junk, wire, anything crappy, the numbers dance around.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well indeed, the TID with consistent digit at depth, that is one of the innovations that was brought up with discretion. I have a Goldbug PRO, and it's impressive. When the TID locks, it isn't without reasons. I like the GB, but t has clearly an issue with bottlecaps. There are, of course, tricks to (try to) ID them, but this is a loss of time. So the other feature that I am interested in for what concerns the AT PRO, is the tone roll audio. I think it's not perfect, but at least it will help ID a large majority of those pesky caps. Well, I hope so anyway.

As for detector "ranges", (entry-mid-upper level), I have always preferred mid range ones with a choice of accessory coils over the very expensive one with his standard coil.

HH

Grumpy

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, some of the U.S. detectors can almost double in price by the time they have been sent across the Atlantic. Then five year and lifetime warranties tend to drop to two years as well so you pay much more and get less.

Other brands don't allow the distributors to take such advantage so become better value here than in the U.S. (assuming the extra price did buy better performanance or features in the first place).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The numbers bounce all over making it useless...might as well have a beep and dig machine.
That is why some find more with the detectors that have no screen and numbers .........The beep and dig detectors will always find more good things than a detector with a read out........And find more faster.......... For they have already poped 3 or 4 things out of the ground and you are still trying to figure out what your screen is telling you or the screen is lying to you about what is there.............................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, some of the U.S. detectors can almost double in price by the time they have been sent across the Atlantic. Then five year and lifetime warranties tend to drop to two years as well so you pay much more and get less.

Other brands don't allow the distributors to take such advantage so become better value here than in the U.S. (assuming the extra price did buy better performanance or features in the first place).
Brian .... OK i see what you mean...........

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers bounce all over making it useless...might as well have a beep and dig machine.
The only time the numbers bounce around is on a bottle cap...if someone tells you the AT dont lock on, there is something wrong with their AT pro.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The only time the numbers bounce around is on a bottle cap...if someone tells you the AT dont lock on, there is something wrong with their AT pro.
Lookin........ I think some post that about the numbers bounceing is ones that never had a AT Pro and just repeat what they hear others say..............

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compared to the Etrac the numbers do bounce around a bit, that is one strength of the Etrac, visual identification is locked. That said if you want to walk away from a nice repeating signal because your AT Pro is bouncing a bit, I don't know what to tell you. The Etrac has it's advantages over the AT Pro yes, it also has a much higher price tag, if you learn to use it properly you will be rewarded for your extra investment, as you should be. However if you learn your AT Pro properly, you should not and won't be disappointed with that purchase as well. Both are great machines and both will keep you happy for a long time. If your machine of choice is the AT Pro and you run into a M.S.(minelab snob) hassling you, just reach into your pocket and show them the rings you pulled out of the water.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I"m new here and not many posts. I am also a fan of Garrett machines. I have an old master hunter and did great with it in the 80's, early 90's. I bought a whites 6000di around the same time but never liked it and never really gave it a chance.
I bought an AT pro last sept because there was a great searching opportunity and everyone was razzing me and my old machine. (that i found two gold rings with at this new site)
It came on a monday. It is a motion machine and completely different than my old machine. I got out tues, weds and thurs after work for a few hours and then took friday off knowing a had learned much about the machine and wanted to get a full day in before the crowd on saturday. I got into a honey hole with four rings, a big mans gold with a small diamond, a junk ring and two 10K class rings.
My finds paid for it 5 days after receiving it! I wonder how many folks can say the same with any machine.
I have since found 8 more GOLD rings with it along with my first ever, 1887o, silver dollar. I've got five sterling rings and a bunch of junk rings as well as a bunch off coinage.
It's light and extremly easy to use. If it starts going bazerk, it just needs a quick ground balance. It has happened to me, especially if around another at pro. (or high voltage) Change the frequency, balance and your back at it. Like 5 seconds to fix.
Also, I have only now begun to experment in trashy areas with the standard modes. I went straight to pro mode outta the box. The tones are fantastic and I don't need to look at the numbers at all. I still do and am getting great with them, but I don;'t need to look to know if I'm digging or not so I agree with the gentleman that stated to dig and quit looking to see what it might be before hand. (smart! don't waste time...dig as many targets as possible for the time alloted)
TIS A GREAT MACHINE!
1940d quarter at 7 inches last sunday..semi key date!
One more note, I did have to get another coil sent to me. The machine acted like there was a ball bearing loose and able to roll back and forth in the back of the coil. I quick call to the Texas headquarters and they had it out to me within 5 biz days. It fixed the problem and they had sent me a postage paid slip for the return of the defective coil.
I am concerend about depth. I was used to a non motion machine and could find really small items at really deep depths but it was a crap shoot to dig as only a tiny audio signal and no visual at all.
Theres my two zincolns worth. HH ALL.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I based my opinion on watching youtube videos of the At Pro in action and the numbers bounce a ton on almost every video I watched.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody else noticed that Dubya hasn't signed in to T-net since starting this thread even though it is his first post? :icon_scratch: This whole thing seems a little fishy to me.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, How can you tell if someone has signed on? Still it is odd Dubya has no input.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, How can you tell if someone has signed on? Still it is odd Dubya has no input.

You just click on their name and it takes you to their profile page which tells you when they joined, and when they last logged on (yours says you joined April 3 2006 and you last logged in today [May 3rd] at 12:44. It also tells me how many friends you have and who they are and the last few visitors to your page.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Durn,, Thanks Cranky! I did not know it showed that much. I guess either because I am a newbie or I am technically challenged !:occasion14:.

We have always gotten drive bys though. He did well to get this many posts.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm starting to like mine the more i use it, and yeah, the numbers do bounce when on bottle caps or other junk.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Durn,, Thanks Cranky! I did not know it showed that much. I guess either because I am a newbie or I am technically challenged !:occasion14:.

We have always gotten drive bys though. He did well to get this many posts.

Your profile page can reveal an awful lot about you. Sometimes more than you want known. As far as this thread it is good info but not like it hasn't been discussed a dozen times over but a refresher isn't a bad thing. I have a sneaky suspicion that it was started to get more hits for the site and thus more money for the new owner. Not that I have anything against that. It just seems a little dishonest.
As far as drive bys I've noticed a spike in those since the changeover. I blame American Diggers.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys,
So tell me is it time to go to the Whites & E-trac sites & ask what they do when it rains?...Just kidding guys!...Im buying an ATpro & rumor has it you can pick 1 up for 520......Show me where & Ill buy 1 right now!

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys,
So tell me is it time to go to the Whites & E-trac sites & ask what they do when it rains?.

:sign10: Maybe they have the sense to come in out of the rain :tongue3: I don't but that's why I have a rain/dust cover but I still have to quit when the Portland missed starts (it missed Portland and hit Seattle :laughing7:) When I get an AT nothing will stop me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread