kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm maby its just me but everything i hit sounds the same lol, ive been getting alot of aluminum, shredded cans to be exact. the stuff is everyyywheree lol
If you want to learn your tones ...Set your detector on a table in all metal mode ..Grab a nickel a quater & a nail ...move them back & forth1 at a time under coil....After doing this you will understand the differant tones

OP
OP
M

mestiz0

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks kayden i'll have to try all of that, another thing is the coil wire doesnt go screw in all the way to the control box, its on as tight as it goes but there is still alot of thread showing. is this normal?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That connector wire has a very small nut on it. It's just meant to hold the connection snugly. Make sure that you have pushed the connections together well and then tighten the nut hand tight only, it's just there to keep things from separating due to snagging the wire or etc.

I had a question about the 250, do rings (silver or gold) show up in their respective metal categories? Or as pulltabs for any ring? Thanks!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That connector wire has a very small nut on it. It's just meant to hold the connection snugly. Make sure that you have pushed the connections together well and then tighten the nut hand tight only, it's just there to keep things from separating due to snagging the wire or etc.

I had a question about the 250, do rings (silver or gold) show up in their respective metal categories? Or as pulltabs for any ring? Thanks!

Rings often show up as foil or pulltabs, but, not always. Yeah, I know, not much help... but true.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hate to say it but depending on size of ring it could come up just about anything

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out today with my 250 and I've found that the signals just jump around like crazy. I never seem to get a clear hit on anything. It'll jump from the coin end of the spectrum, back to iron, then to aluminum/gold and then to a coin signal. The cleanest signals I got were pull tabs. I was also dinging every other step in that same fashion, so I'm guessing it was mostly shredded foil wrappers. Any hints for the bouncing signals?

Ive been having the same problems with my 250 that I just got. Every signal I get jumps around. Even strong signals are wrong, for example the 250 was very certain it was detecting a dime, except it was a paint can lid. I dont even bother digging for nickel signals cause I know its a pulltab.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find the beach, acre for acre, is cleaner than inland. Besides, the sand is easy to dig! Spend some time just WATCHING the beach. Take note of the places people hang out, daytime AND nightime! The kids will wear momma and daddy's BEST jewelry! It's a disposable world today! Go get it! ttc

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been having the same problems with my 250 that I just got. Every signal I get jumps around. Even strong signals are wrong, for example the 250 was very certain it was detecting a dime, except it was a paint can lid. I dont even bother digging for nickel signals cause I know its a pulltab.
Dont do this.....Could be Gold ....could be anything ...Guys all detectors give off bad info on the screen.....Best advice is use your EARS!....Duct tape that screen as it is only a GUIDE!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys when the screen is bouncing around chances are its junk...However I have dug Indianheads,Silver & Jewelery when VDI was dancing because there also was a nail masking the object....remember this if anything in this thread...learn to dig everything!

Last edited:

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys when the screen is bouncing around chances are its junk...However I have dug Indianheads,Silver & Jewelery when VDI was dancing because there also was a nail masking the object....remember this if anything in this thread...learn to dig everything!

Wish I could dig everything but there is only so much time I can dedicate to this and after confirming the first 20 bad signals turn out to be junk, Im gonna tend to concentrate on clearer more precise signals.

OP
OP
M

mestiz0

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im starting to get the hang of this a little more each time i got out, obviously im not perfect but im starting to figure out the tones a little bit better. Ive dug up quite a bit of trash yesterday but came up with my first ring ( junk ) and 3 pennies! ( modern ) sometimes i have a little trouble pinpointing but not often.

OP
OP
M

mestiz0

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and i put my 250 on Coin or Jewelry and dig EVERYTHING :-)

Sluice hunter

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Huron Co, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Jetco Treasure Hawk. Trying to get a real one!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humm Ive seriously been thinkin about gettin a 250 or 350. Is the size of the coil really the only differance?

Sluice hunter

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Huron Co, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Jetco Treasure Hawk. Trying to get a real one!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes thats what Im wondering. On the Garret website it says "This detector includes the best features of the world-famous ACE 250 but adds a powerful new DD searchcoil, enhanced iron discrimination and a higher frequency." Just wondering if you guys who have actually used these detectors think it's worth the extra money.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would add this into the mix. I have had my Ace 250 for a long time. I have found some nice finds with it, but the places I usually hunt has a lot of trash, I mean a lot of trash. I broke down and bought the sniper coil. It never comes off my ace. If I am looking for coins, I put it in all metal so I can hear every sound. Many times, with the sniper coil, I find silver side by side with iron. I will get a great silver tone then boink...keep checking and the coin is there...right next to a hunk of iron. Try the sniper coil if you can swing it. You will love it.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have never used the 350 so really cant comment ...However I do own the 250 ( paid for itself 4-5 times over in less than a year)& reason I purchased the atpro was its waterproof & i can detect in the rain & rivers/swimming holes

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the sniper coil in a trashy section of the park and dug 7 or 8 nails it would ring dead on as a quarter/dime with no iron tone and then id dig nails

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to mess with your head try putting a small gold ring, a large gold ring and a silver ring on the ground then in all metal mode see where they show up on the screen and listen to the tones. Then disc out iron, foil and pull tabs and try again...you might not even be able to detect the small gold ring anymore.
I dig everything when I can and I have found 24 rings in the last year as well as many other treasures.
After nnine years of MD'ing I have learned not to discount any signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread