Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, what diehlerca said-

I would like some that I can use in the surf or dirt, that are like the ones you get on airlines that have a hook thingy that hangs them on your ear.
That way I can hear the machine, and what's going on around me.

When I'm in the surf, I don't mind blocking everyone out, pretty much prefer it that way. But on the dirt, I really like to hear people talking, or walking up behind me. I don't like being startled.

OP
OP
D

diehlerca

Greenie
May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out and bought a pair of KOSS which have a removable cord, adjustable ear cups and come in a case (most importantly they were $70 off!!):headbang:
Have 30 days to try them out and then can return if not happy with them so thought it was worth the gamble.

pez

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a garrett ace 250 and do not have headphones. I also would not like to have someone come up behind me without hearing them. When you plug in a pair of headphones do it stop the beep that others can hear ?? Was looking at the more expensive ones w/ individual volumn adjustments. Your opinion .... what say you.

OP
OP
D

diehlerca

Greenie
May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the headphones should block out the signals from others unless they are very close, then they may hear it. I think I will quite like the Koss phones but haven't field tested them yet. Bought them at Staples and they have a great return policy so can return them if they don't do the trick.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I cut the cord on mine and stuffed it into an old waterproof cz20 headset I had layin around. I had to put a resistor in line and then I gooped it all up with rtv. Pic later if I can get the energy.

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut the cord on mine and stuffed it into an old waterproof cz20 headset I had layin around. I had to put a resistor in line and then I gooped it all up with rtv. Pic later if I can get the energy.

please

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats it parker, pics before the fourth, tomorow maybe, very busy at work. I'm even gonna tear it down to show you the innards. No, really. If you please.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reviewing other posts on TN, I bought a set of Sentry Brand, Wireless Headphone, Model HO900.
It works well and the "freedom" is so cool that I would find it hard to go back to a wired headset.

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the greyghost with my AT Pro and Gold....big difference! U have to use the adapter though.

OP
OP
D

diehlerca

Greenie
May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up getting the Sun Ray Gold Pro. They are much more comfortable than the Garrett . Tones are somewhat different for some reason but doesn't take long to get used to. Adapter must be used.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a question for all.
What type of headphone,ect do you like.
I am working on something and am using a set for my MD.
I need to see if i can make a poll.

Single ear bud
single ear bud with the hook,that holds onto your ear
single headphone that goes over the head

I am using a single earpiece,over the head.
Here's why,i don't like bears or snakes.
I don't like nosy people
I am using a $6-$9 dollar.It is the single earpiece,with the boom mic we use for skype,ect on our pc's.
Bought a plug adator from 1/4 to 3mm.Gold plated.
Works perfect.Do not need any volume adjustment as it stays at one low volume all the time. No noise comes out from the main speaker on MD.
Nice and quiet,no one can even hear the tones in my headset.Except me.

Last edited:

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut the waterproof connector off the stock Garrett headphones and soldered a set of Pyle PWPE10W lightweight, waterproof in-ear 'phones onto the connector. I used dual-wall heat shrink around the solder joints to waterproof the connection, then attached a belt clip to take the strain off that connection. So far, it's working out great: cool and light on land, secure and audible underwater.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the adapter like this one Garrett 1/4" Headphone Adapter for Garrett AT Pro, Infinium & Sea Hunter Models | eBay and use my rattler headphones with my at pro actually I ordered mine from Backwoods Detector Sales: Shop but the one on ebay is what they look like. Works great for me

Frank I have the same set up, AT Pro adapter with the one ear piece Rattlers headphones. I'm really happy with the one ear piece for the reason of being able to hear situations around me. I also appreciate the volume control directly on the ear piece. There is also an on/off switch so if you want to share a tone with someone.
Lately, just lately I'm wondering if I'm missing signals. I buried a quarter the other day 4 inches down and couldnt pull even a slight signal no matter how I set up the machine. Did you ever feel that way with your Rattlers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread