AT Pro going nuts. Help?!?

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
So I was doing some practice in pro mode in my backyard a few minutes ago. Popped a few clad, then set down my MD to start on another hole. All of a sudden, the thing starts rapidly chattering in all sorts of tones, seemingly the same volume, and the numbers start dancing accordingly. The thing won't stop.
There are new batteries in it and the battery bars show full charge.
The unit was bought a little over a year ago and I did send it in for the upgrades last year.
I used it in water twice last year but only submerged the coil.
It stays stowed in a locked closet to keep the kids from banging it.
I have used it maybe a total of 25 times.
I baby this thing so when I set it down, it was gentle. It has never been dropped.
It worked great yesterday and for the first 15 minutes today.
The jumping tones are constant no matter the mode or if I hold the coil in the air.
If I sweep the ground, I can still hear the true tones over known iron spots in the ground.
I have tried shutting it off and on, pulling the battery pack out for a few minutes, and general cursing at it to no avail.
Is there a reset on this thing? I hope I don't have to send it in AGAIN.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you near a radio tower, police station or power lines?

I was working some curb strips and all of a sudden it went crazy just like you describe. When i backed up 50 feet it was fine. turns out it was the police station tower!

Tom

OP
OP
F

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Yes, I did have my house power line slightly overhead. I thought that may be the problem but moving away to the area I was in yesterday did not help. I did try to adjust the frequency. This did help somewhat but I could still hear the senseless chatter quietly in the background. The problem is that it was still giving me false high tone hits. I am wondering if it is the time of day? Sun was setting and I know that is when my AM radio starts chirping too.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold down the start button while it's on until it beeps twice.
That's how you reset it.
That should fix it.
Oh, before you reset it make sure the the coil and headphone jacks are properly seated.
The best way is to just unscrew them and remove them then put them back in.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say about that is ... My GTI1500 did the same thing.... And in the end i had to send it to Garrett for repair............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary is right about cell phones and towers. Aside from making sure the coil cover is free of any dirt, see if something has changed in your neighborhood like someone turning on they're security system or dog fence. Read this......Electiical Interference

My AT PRO has given me more trouble than all my other detectors put together. :BangHead:

swb

Jun 8, 2012
stephens city va
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine goe's crazy when i'm close a fence ,power line it could be 10ft over head and it pick's it up.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
-Try another coil..(trying to rule out a bad coil)
-Make sure all your connections are tight, especially the coil connector.
-Try resetting the detector as previously mentioned.
-take out the batteries, clean the ends with a rubber eraser along with the contact points
-Still stuck? call Garrett customer service 1 800 527 4011

At least you bought a machine made in USA by a reputable company for customer service, and it doesn't have to be shipped out of country for repair. Good luck!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
F

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Ok. So I think I have it solved. I removed the coil cover and it was clean. So I reset it as Ace350 said and it seems to have corrected itself. I spent an hour at my folks place with chatter only happening when I was over their buried lines. Now I will try again at home this evening and make sure it's still ok. I should also mention that I have been, and still am, running it at the highest sensitivity setting. I realize that will add to some background chatter but the stuff yesterday was loud.
By the way, I found my first piece of float copper on the crest of a hill at my folks place today! About the size of a nickel but I have always wanted to find a piece of this glacial history!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fibberjibber said:
Ok. So I think I have it solved. I removed the coil cover and it was clean. So I reset it as Ace350 said and it seems to have corrected itself. I spent an hour at my folks place with chatter only happening when I was over their buried lines. Now I will try again at home this evening and make sure it's still ok. I should also mention that I have been, and still am, running it at the highest sensitivity setting. I realize that will add to some background chatter but the stuff yesterday was loud.
By the way, I found my first piece of float copper on the crest of a hill at my folks place today! About the size of a nickel but I have always wanted to find a piece of this glacial history!

Glad to hear ya got it working again.
Remember you also have 4 different frequencies also if you have problems or are hunting with other AT-Pros.
Just hold down the pinpoint button while tapping the sensitivity + or - it goes from F1-F4
If you are around electrical lines of any sort or large metal objects try cutting down the sensitivity a bit.
I usually run my sensitivity two bars from max unless I'm in a really clean area like the beach.
By the way good job on the float copper. Even though I don't exactly know what it is.
How about a picture?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sun does affect AM radio and the frequency they transmit at. THats why AM channels have to crank the power down at sunset. If they didnt, their signal would bounce everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread