Garrett Treasure Ace 300 with stock coil- I have a few specific questions

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend has the Garrett Treasure Ace 300 with the stock coil (Crossfire?) and normally she loves this machine. As of late it's been more than aggravating for her. In the middle of hunting the machine will go bezerk to the point where she has to take the batteries out and put them back in. They're new batteries so that isnt the issue.
She has a great track record and has found many exceptional finds with it. Lately she's hasnt found a thing- even in places where she always walks out with something. It's hard to explain this one but truly- it's the machine and not her or because she's in a totally hunted out spot.

She's the only owner of it and has had it for years. It's never been serviced and she's never tried a different coil. So:

• Does it sound like she should send it into Garrett and what could they do? Clean it? Recalibrate it?
  • I've read somewhere that this machines can use GTAx coils. Is that true? Is it worth looking into?
  • Is there something she can try at home to get it working well again? Like swabbing it with alcohol or something?

She has another name brand machine but she really prefers Garrett and tries to go back to it over and over with disappointing results. I've tried to get her to use my AT Pro but she doesnt take well to change. She likes the simplicity of the 300 and bucks the idea of learning another machine even if it is another Garrett.

I'm hoping for some advice on this since she is almost to the point of not wanting to go at all.

Thank you

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try upgrade to the 250 or 350 maybe that will help

OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a 150 and a 250 and she tried the 250- but didnt like it. Tried my AT Pro on STD mode but she couldnt deal with it. Im hoping for a good solution to her machine issues. I'll keep trying though- thank you!

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done an air test to determine if it still detects coins, jewelry , etc.? Could the beserk behaviour be due to interference (from another detector, wifi, dog-fence?). If all else fails Garrett is reputed to have outstanding customer service...Wish I could help more.

peace,
cc

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have her take it out with her cell phone turned off and see if that helps. If what Calvin says isn't the case it needs to be sent in to Garrett. It could be a broken solder joint or board and only they can fix it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are good ideas, we'll try that. You also reminded me to tried to change my frequency on my AT Pro too and see if it's causing interference. I totally agree that Garrett has the best customer service in the metal detecting world.
I knew if I posted the issue I'd get some great feedback. Thank you very much!

Bev

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope ya get it worked out ,, happy huntinn ya'll

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it all gets worked out so you can get out and enjoy some treasure hunting together. Let us know the outcome whatever the solution turns out to be.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have her take it out with her cell phone turned off and see if that helps. If what Calvin says isn't the case it needs to be sent in to Garrett. It could be a broken solder joint or board and only they can fix it.

Great post! Garrett is AMAZING on taking care of customers. Give Sue a call up there and talk to her. She will get you fixed up if these other suggestions don't work. Holler if I can help!

OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She seems to agree, now if I can pry it out of her hands- even when it's not quite right, it's hard to let it go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread