Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Info please

OK. I know that the 250 is a lot cheaper than the 1350. And I know the 1350 has more features, like profiling, than the 250. But I am really trying to figure out if the 1350 is worth the difference in dry land detection. The 1350 has the salt elimination feature which I guess I would use if I go to the beach (which may be once a year).

Is profiling that advantagious?

Is the difference between 24 and 12 notch that advantagious?

So I guess my real question is, am I going to miss treasures by getting the 250 over the 1350, or is it just going to identify better and save digging time by getting the 1350? I am just getting into TH'ing and want to make sure I am doing it right and all I have to go on is what I read. It seems that Garrett is the best entry level detectors, now I'm down to which one that I won't outgrow in a season or two.

Thanks in advance. Your site is awesome.

Dan in NE TN.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL...............32 views and no response. Guess I said something wrong.

(Dan goes back to banging rocks together) :)

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OK, Phantasman, I'll talk to ya ;D

I've owned an Ace 250 since February and am getting to love it more every time I use it. I just returned from a 6 week RV trip to the southeast and used it on some highly mineralized Georgia soil and on Florida beaches. It performed beautifully, with little or no problems with falsing from mineralization or ocean beach sand. I also own a Minelab XTerra 70, with manual ground balance and a beach mode. Side by side I couldn't tell any difference in performance. I used the Ace most of the time.

I've been considering a GTP1350 for some time now, for the profiling and salt elimination features. But the more I use the Ace, the more I think I'll just stay with it. It does everything I need, so why change? Plus it is lighter and uses just 4 AA batteries, which seem to run forever before changing.

This is just my opinion; hope you do get more responses.

DFIU (Dick from IA)

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Can’t speak about the 1350, I’ve been beach hunting with an Ace 250, for about three months, and can say this is a good detector. It takes a little practice to get used to what it’s telling you but I’ve found a lot of good stuff... even sterling.
I don’t use any discrimination just throttle the sensitivity.
Hay for $200 and it’s really helping me hold my own with some of the “higher end” detectors.

Not sure about popular opinion but if I buy a detector with abilities way above mine it’ll most likely end up in the closet.

Oh and Naaa didn’t say anything wrong, just didn’t wait long enough for someone with an opinion. ;D

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hay DFIU you’ve had you Ace longer than I’ve had mine, got mine in Sept... actually started in the hobby with it in Sept, but I’ve noticed that when the batteries drop below half charge it gets a little unstable on the beach. Have you noticed this???on the beach or dry land?

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
drver said:
I’ve noticed that when the batteries drop below half charge it gets a little unstable on the beach. Have you noticed this???on the beach or dry land?

I change my batteries when they get to half full or half empty. ::)
I put them in the kids toys to use the last half up.
I notice erratic behaviour when below half, though that could just be paranoia.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Trescher that’s almost too funny, I do the same thing, you’d think I have allot of half charged AA’s around but they get used fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response. Just joking with the second post.

It sounds like the extra money for the 1350 would be for a bell/whistle or two. I understand the swing weight thing, though you can hip mount the battery pack on the 1350. It would seem that it has a finer tuning ability for customizing disc. also. Didn't know if that was important. One thing I have learned is, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby and get discouraged if you don't listen to the advice from knowledgable people.

Thanks for the knowledge. ;D

Dan

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
drver said:
Hay DFIU you’ve had you Ace longer than I’ve had mine, got mine in Sept... actually started in the hobby with it in Sept, but I’ve noticed that when the batteries drop below half charge it gets a little unstable on the beach. Have you noticed this???on the beach or dry land?

Yes, I did notice this recently, but it was on dry land in Mississippi on our return trip from Florida. Can't speak about on beaches as I had full charge then. Mine seems OK at half charge, but when it hits 1/4 it's time for a change.

DFIU (Dick from IA)

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Ace 250 and just upgraded to the GTI 1500 which is a GTP 1350 with a few more features. I love both detectors. I wasn't to sure about the imaging at first but it really does work. I first started digging everything to see if it was imaging right. It's not 100% right all the time but darn close. The target ID is pretty acurate but again not 100%. When I first got it I thought the extra weight would be an issue but quickly got used to it. I like the adjustable volume level also. I recently took it to a club hunt at a really trashy site and was the only person there to find coins. We stayed about two hours and found LOTS of trash but the GTI came through for me on the three only coins found. Again it was the imaging feature that made me decide to dig them. Anyhow, hope this helps. Warrior

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does, MDW. Sounds like a nice move up. From what I read, the only difference between the 1500 and the 1350 is its image display. True Image might be worth the extra $100 list price, especially in a trashy area.

Thanks for the input.

Dan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I went nuts and bought the GTI 2500 that has all the bells and whistles and then some. I probably would have been just as well off with the 1350 or the 1500. There is very little difference between the 1500 and the 2500 now anyway. I look for Garrett to come out with some higher tech replacement for the time tested 2500 as it's been around a long time. Anyway, I bought my ACE 250 after I got the 2500....Needed a loaner and spare and now I use it as much as I do the 2500. The few times I have needed the bells and whistles I missed them though. Especially nice is the imaging feature that shows you the approximate size of a target. Monty

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
I use both of them. And they pretty much do what I want. The 1350 is better on open land and around old homes due to the profiling. Keeps me from digging cans, plow parts etc. As far as the beach, I use them both equally and have no problem. I recommend the 250 to start unless you're absolutely positive you are going to stay with the hobby. It does everything the 1350 does except the imaging. For the long run and relics get the 1350.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use both...

...what were your questions again? Oh yeah here we go -

OK. I know that the 250 is a lot cheaper than the 1350. And I know the 1350 has more features, like profiling, than the 250. But I am really trying to figure out if the 1350 is worth the difference in dry land detection.
How can any one elses opinion be the deciding factor for you? That being said, and knowing you want "answers," lets see. Is the 1350 worth the difference in price? Absolutely. It is smoother to operate, has infinitely more adjustment than the little Ace 250 and is better in terms of ruggedness. A lot more than the Ace on any of these? Yes. Does it matter for 80% of your hunting? Probably not.

The 1350 has the salt elimination feature which I guess I would use if I go to the beach (which may be once a year).
Correct. Does it solve all your problems and make the beach your stomping grounds? No. IMHO, it is merely a compromise and merely works okay...it's just a shift in the DISC reference point, after all. Garrett put it on their detectors because they know people will take them there. Ditto everyone else. In the dry sand, it will shine, though.

If you want to be serious about salt water detecting (as opposed to beach detecting, which is not the same), you need to get a dedicated surf detector, since surf hunting, as it's name implies, is best considered a stand alone occupation. Every job has a tool that's designed to do it right - and everything else is a compromise. That's fine for adjustable wrenches, but I suggest you keep your 1350 or any other unit away from the surf if it wasnt designed for that use. The waves, even ankle lappers, can be unpredictable to the drylander, and Mother Sea a harsh mistress. One mis-step and whoops!...your detector is dunked...fried...salty dog.

Is profiling that advantagious?
YES. It makes much the diffference on shallow targets. On deeper ones that indicate good, forget it - get out your trowel. So far, there is one challenge to that statement:
It works quite well on deeply buried soda cans. But how you gonna know its a soda can?
I've dug a car mirror that reads the same and I know fellows that have dug CW buckles that also read the same. Ouch! Most of the time it IS a soda can, but how you gonna know? By the knowing of your site, knowing why you're there and working the odds (which is all any of us do).

Some old advice said,"If you get a good target indication at anything over 3-4", dig it regardless of your other indications." Its still good advice, the kind you should take to heart.

To further answer your question about it, Profiling is about as good as you can expect, and maybe all you need. I really like having the feature and use it often. I personally feel that trying to do more, as Garrett does with the 1500/2500 series units, is wishful thinking. If they would put a true non-motion ALL METAL mode on it, instead of making me buy a 2500 to get that feature, I could die happy. THAT, my friend, is the only gripe I have with the 1350 - and it is no fault of the instrument itself.

Is the difference between 24 and 12 notch that advantagious?
Hmmmmm...good question. YES, especially when you have the experience to know your detector and THE SITE you are hunting on.

So I guess my real question is, am I going to miss treasures by getting the 250 over the 1350, or is it just going to identify better and save digging time by getting the 1350?
Yes, you are going to miss treasures. No matter what you use. Sorry, that's TRUTH.
Especially more so, if you dont understand what sensitivity really is, or what discrimination can really do to hurt you. Or about things like sweep discipline, "the Cone Effect" and many other important matters where the Coil meets the Soil.
Its not as much WHAT you swing, my friend, but where and how you swing it that matters.
It's not what your detector TELLS you it is - because they are easily fooled. It's what your brain knows it's likely to be that makes you bend your knee to the earth.

The real point of detecting is not detecting at all - its the thrill of recovery. Another word for detecting is locating. Or maybe finding, if you prefer. However, without recovery, all you have done is made some neat sounds, beeps and bongs, come from your machine.

I am just getting into TH'ing and want to make sure I am doing it right and all I have to go on is what I read. It seems that Garrett is the best entry level detectors, now I'm down to which one that I won't outgrow in a season or two.
More real truth - first time you read another ad you'll begin to outgrow your current detector. It'll happen. Don't sweat it. I have half a dozen at any one time.

Let me say this and hope it reassures you. Get the most detector you can for your money. Dont try to cheap out, as money spent on quality, well researched, designed and proven instruments will always be well spent.
Garrett makes some of the best and I didnt used to think so. Then I bought a few, tried them and now recommend them to anybody.
I like the ACE 250 and use mine often enough. If I could have one or the other, it'd be the 1350, hands down.
Get one if you can. Oh, yeah, get a sniper coil to go with it.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice, Dahut.

I have read many of your posts, and I must say that your advice seems to be "spot on". I would consider you the Obi Wan of metal detecting.

Its funny that I have come down to getting my detector this Monday, and have decided on the 1350 and a sniper coil. My only change may be to test the 1500 against the 1350 at the sellers place to see if the extra $80 is worth the better imaging feature. But regardless, it will be either machine and a smaller pinpointing coil for the trashy areas.

Your advice is well received and appreciated.

Dan

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno about the ObiWan bit. Lets just say that there are many things that one can succumb to; the flu, love and hype are but a few exampls. The first two offer little recourse, but you can do something about hype. I only want to help you get to the TRUTH.

Its funny that I have come down to getting my detector this Monday, and have decided on the 1350 and a sniper coil.
They say that great minds think alike, but I prefer that "An Astute Mind Gets to the TRUTH." Fortunately, it so happens that there are more than a few astute minds. Good choices on your part.

My only change may be to test the 1500 against the 1350 at the sellers place to see if the extra $80 is worth the better imaging feature. But regardless, it will be either machine and a smaller pinpointing coil for the trashy areas.
The 1350 is what some call, the "1500 LITE." Same detector with "Imaging/Sizing," as opposed to mere Profiling. But, here's the rub with the 1500/2500 series: they require proprietary coils to do the Imaging/Sizing job. See, there is a 3rd winding in the coil which is responsible for the function, yet the smaller coils DO NOT have these windings. Onlt the stock and large coils have the windings, so you get no Sizing ability when you use the small ones. :(
The 1350, on the other hand, can Profile with any of the Crossfire coils you can find, as the feature is sweep speed dependent only. They're also cheaper and are easier to come by.
The Sizing also requires dead on pinpointing, which is no major worry, but it can be fooled - which is a bother. In truth it strikes me as a distraction and something else to help you decide to NOT dig. For me, and these reasons, the 1350 is enough with it's 3 level profiliing. I fancy a 1500/2500, but I dont expect I'll get either one, unless its at a "cant refuse price."

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a good point. I had read about the outer Tx and 2 inner Rx windings on the 1500. Didn't catch the smaller one not having the same, but that makes sense, considering its size. That pretty much means that the 1500 isn't going to hunt coins in a trashy area any better than a 1350. But with the standard coils on both, the 1500 give a tad more size information (by 2 counts). I guess if you get to know your detector, it wouldn't be that advantagious to get the 1500 with its proprietary coils.

Good call, Dahut. The 1350 and small coil it is.

Thanks.

Dan

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pretty much means that the 1500 isn't going to hunt coins in a trashy area any better than a 1350.
I'm not sure thats what I said...
But, it's possibly true, to an exacting degree. The 1350 comes stock with an exceedingly capable elliptical coil. The 1500, a 9.5" round plate coil. The 1350 is bound to get a little better separation with such a set up and in the trash, that is the name of the game. I get a measured 2-3" between a dime and a nail with my 1350. With a smaller coil, it does better, at 2" even.
(Keep in mind that this depends on the direction you come at the targets and your swing speed.)

Maybe the 1500 does better than this, I dunno... if it does it can't be by much! The only detector Ive heard of lately that seems to actually beat this (under controlled test conditions) is the Fisher 1236X2. I have one of those coming next week - Ill let you know.
(The ACE 250 does beat 3", as an aside. It gets an honest 2" under the same test conditions, with a stock coil.)

But with the standard coils on both the 1350 and 1500, the 1500 gives a tad more size information (by 2 counts). I guess if you get to know your detector, it wouldn't be that advantagious to get the 1500 with its proprietary coils.
Familiarity helps with most any detector you use. At this point someone will now come forward and bust all over your conclusions, stating that the 1500 is "awesome," or "near perfect" or some other colorful statement.
The INTENT of the 1500 is to do just as you've concluded, to further break down this sizing concept into ever smaller increments. The claim is made that it can detect targets smaller than a coin (which I cant dispute - the Garretts are some of the most sensitive units I've used)...AND size them accordingly.

On this score, I confess to having my doubts. That's what I'm saying at this point. Will it help you to have a GTI 1500 and assume that the detector is right, when it tells you something is smaller than a coin? Or bigger? I say no. It's the assuming part of that which bothers me and why I shy away from detectors with elaborate TID systems. Oh, I try them, but I always end up gawking at those guages and dials and other doodads - and NOT digging. This is another reason why I lke the 1350...its a nice compromise between raw capability and useful features. In this case, less is more.

I come from an earlier Garrett school, one where the GTA 1000 and CX II were new. The 1350 is a natural for me and its the coil selection of the 1350 that sells me. The profiling is more of a nice feature to have, like icing on the cake.

Be clear here, I am a big Garrett fan. That isnt in debate. But, as for the promises the 1500 makes...well, I'll reserve more judgement than I've shared here until I can try one.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, regardless, I have found a new Garrett 1350 with an additional Proformance DD 10X14 coil for $559.95 and free shipping. I'll order it and get some OJT.

Thanks again.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few points re these posts.
The Garrett 1500 is my preferred machine between it and the 2500 but the 2500 blows the 1500 away for all metal depth so if thats what you need and you want a Garrett you have to pay the extra.
The mention of Ace and the X-Terra 70. I've never been to a site where the Minelab doesn't wipe the floor with the Ace. If you detect in Europe the Ace will pass over many of the smaller coins, especially hammered silver if they are more than a couple of inches deep. The X-Terra gives a loud positive response. ( This does not mean I like the X range I think there's better ).
Garretts imaging is a very mixed blessing. Pre imaging I use to like to have an all metal non motion pinpoint mode and trace out the width of the target. I avoided digging much large junk. I also never had a coin hoard or cache. Since I gave this habit up I've had several hoards so I now wonder what I missed over the years.
Seperation between coins and trash. The T2 is very good but I prefer an XP Goldmax. The Fisher is good but then why not go for an older non motion machine for the extreme sites which will see through nails to the good stuff beneath ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread