AT Pro instability issue --- it was my batteries ---

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I found something today about my AT-Pro.
The issue was I noticed that when my AT.P got down to one bar below full charge it would become increasingly unstable and chatter away, meaning I would have to pull back sensitivity to 2 bars so I could continue hunting.
Thinking that it may be the old "dirt and moisture" in the coil cover problem again. I removed the coil cover and cleaned out all the dust and pollens.
This time it didn't do the trick.

I recalled that when this "instability problem" started was exactly the same day that I popped in a set of rechargeable "HobbyKing" batteries ( now I apologize if I am not suppose to mention brand names, but I did so just to alert others to this ).
The next day it started happening again so I replaced the HK batteries with some much more expensive Vata rechargeables and "wow" problem gone!! Hunted all day with the Varts,, from full charge to empty,, no issues what so ever :)

As these HK batteries work fine in my Radio Control models, I emailed HobbyKing about it and, they replied (surprising quickly) saying that it may be due to their internal impedance lower and internal capacitance being slightly higher than the standard rechargeable.

I am just happy that it was an easy fix.. :)
H H

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread