Prospecting and the AT Gold?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this question on the gold prospecting forum but didn't get any response so I am going to try here, hopefully with more luck.

Just wondering if anyone is using the AT Gold for prospecting and if so could you let us know what you think of it, or is there a better detector out there for around the same price?
Would love to hear peoples opinion on this.

ZDD

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For its price range it is VERY hard to beat! Not to mention it is waterproof. Love the 5X8 DD coil on it!

Holler with questions or a great deal!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THIS IS MY "Opinion," wich is based on many years in the goldfields. Actual gold nugget hunters don't use the AT Gold. It is no better than the old Garrett Gold Stinger, which struck out as well. If you want a REAL gold nugget shooter, here are some of the best, most widely used:

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Fisher Goldbug II
Teknetics G2
Minelab 705 Goldpak

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
What exactly is prospecting? The old timers prospected. Without metal detectors. If you want to find gold with a metal detector, just wander around the desert and dig anything that beeps. You will find gold eventually. You wont find deep stuff like the 5 grand minelabs will. But you will find gold. You don't even need a gold machine to find gold, just a good patch and a lot of time and patience. Watch out for cactus! That is the long and short of it. Plan on digging thousands of small nails and lead bits for every nugget you dig. Pricetag not withstanding.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Sovereign and an expensive pulse unit. Neither would pick up the small nuggets. With the 5 inch coil I could rub the nugget on the coil and get a small beep.

The AT Gold is much more sensitive to the small stuff. Don't let anyone fool you, the ATG is a very solid machine and has some very nice features you won't find on other gold machines. It's a newer design. Garrett website has several videos to watch.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm hopefully going to try nugget hunting in an area I had found some gold in before. Without a detector. This will be in January. I've got the ATG as well. I've been told that it'll work good here in AZ deserts. I've seen it used at a suppliers shop. Using a picker sized piece of gold. So that's why I got the ATG. Plus being new I didn't want to spend a couple grand. My uncle has a Tesoro. Not sure which. Hoping to compare the two. So to speak. Though I know Tesoro is used by many. If you'd like to go with let me know

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure sounds tempting. What part of Arizona will you be hunting?

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT gold is a very good gold machine being able to detect gold a picker size the depth of 4 inches. The gold bug II also detected the same piece the same depth... the lobo did not detect it. size means everything talking about a detector picking gold up..
I dont know your location but i do know that the gold bug pro seams to be poplar in Austraila..
The At gold can also be to balance out ground that has a very high hot rock in it
Anyone Who wouldnt mention it when it come to gold hunting has just never used one

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your input. And thank you GarretDiggingAZ for the invite. I have been to AZ many times, even did some hiking in the Superstition Mountains. I absolutely love it there and if I can get back there soon I will take you up on that offer.
It is great to hear actual testimonies from people that have been using the ATG to find raw gold, so GDAZ please keep us posted and tell us your opinion after you have field tested it.
The gold around here is mostly hard rock gold but in the 1800s when it was first discovered, actual nuggets were found on the surface of the ground just by fluke. I have a hunch where there might be some untouched veins but I don't want to spend $5000+ for a MineLab just on a hunch.
ZDD

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't want to spend the 5k for a minelab. I figure if I eventually find enough then I could get approval from boss lady. Lol. This area could possibly be a good test. I'll let y'all know around the 10th. That'll give me a couple days in the field. Plus it's a little harder for me to hike back there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread