question for you guys

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
FIRST METAL DETECTOR,GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how would i go about researching old farm property to go metal detect,i have no problem asking for permission, but i have no clue where to go. I just moved to lincoln city oregon from the spokane washington area 2 moths ago. So i have no idea where to start and or how to go about it, any info helps!!!, iv already gone to the historic muesum and have found city areas but it has nothing on the county area either does the library i guess they keep it in the salem one but thats to long a drive for the info,any ideas ?let me know thanks guys

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to get the oldest maps you can find, them compare them to newer maps. I found some 18th century houses on maps dated in the 1780's and cleaned up.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some places you can try is google earth, sandborn maps, and your county auditor to find out who owns what part of property etc, another thing I use is zillow.com there's also an app if you have an iphone, it's an real estate website and app but you can find a house and it will tell you what year it was built. Hope this helps!

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try searching google with "GIS" and your county name. The info is usually free and very detailed!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lincoln+city+oregon+gis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

-------------------

Here's some info from another post:

A lot of counties here in Indiana have online GIS sites that will show you satelllite/maps of land with plats etc, and the registered owner(s). You don't really have to have the address of the property if you know where it is and can find it on a aerial map. Contact your County Recorder's office and they should be able to tell you if your county has the site. Here's a link to my county (Harrison) in southern Indiana:

eGIS v3.0 - Built on ArcGIS Server 10

The company that hosts this GIS info also has a free Android and Apple app that lets you carry it with you! If you tell me which county you're in, I can let you know if your county is signed up, or you can download the app to your smartphone and look it up yourself:

http://www.39dn.com/index.cfm/solutions/egis-mobile/

Last edited:
OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
FIRST METAL DETECTOR,GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks alot this will help and i have an iphone so that makes it nicer

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try searching google with "GIS" and your county name. The info is usually free and very detailed!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lincoln+city+oregon+gis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

-------------------

Here's some info from another post:

A lot of counties here in Indiana have online GIS sites that will show you satelllite/maps of land with plats etc, and the registered owner(s). You don't really have to have the address of the property if you know where it is and can find it on a aerial map. Contact your County Recorder's office and they should be able to tell you if your county has the site. Here's a link to my county (Harrison) in southern Indiana:

eGIS v3.0 - Built on ArcGIS Server 10

The company that hosts this GIS info also has a free Android and Apple app that lets you carry it with you! If you tell me which county you're in, I can let you know if your county is signed up, or you can download the app to your smartphone and look it up yourself:

39°N - eGIS Mobile

Very good info here...Iv learned a lot from this guy, he has opened my eyes....

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
I look at building foundations stacked stone with or without mortar are early. Concrete and block are later. Makes it quick to check whole areas of town. GL

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historicmapworks.com free maps, and some have google maps overlay. also try Maprika. It's a phone app with a map builder for the computer. Open source maps. Check it out. One of the most useful apps I have ever had.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
302guy said:
Historicmapworks.com free maps, and some have google maps overlay. also try Maprika. It's a phone app with a map builder for the computer. Open source maps. Check it out. One of the most useful apps I have ever had.

How do you find the free maps? I checked two counties in my area, and they all had $$ required.

Thanks,

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you find the free maps? I checked two counties in my area, and they all had $$ required.

Thanks,

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/North_America/

Sorry, I should have said free to browse..they cost $ to download. But if you find one you like you can usually find the same one free in google images. I do that too, than use google earth to overlay, which is finicky, or maprika which is simple and awesome. Just can't change the opacity.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your avatar. We have two girls going to Gonzaga. I was amazed at how quickly GU can turn two primadonna teenagers into basketball freaks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread