Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    2473 times

More Snow On The Way...Hunted Some Snow Hills Today While The Jerky-Cola Was Drying

I left around noon today and headed out of Edmonton for some different busy snow hills. It was a perfect day......about one degree above freezing with a mild south wind and a perfectly clear blue sky. I managed a nice take on coins, which maybe paid for my gas. More snow on the way starting tomorrow evening. There is already a snowfall watch in effect.

I also tried my first attempt at a jerky marinate using a 20 ounce bottle of regular coca-cola, which I boiled down to a nice thick concentrate on the stove for a base marinade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blind hogs.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	762392
    Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
    506 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    tell us how it tastes.

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    2473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Guy View Post
    tell us how it tastes.
    With a dash of FRANKS HOT SAUCE....it was great!.....

Here's the recipe....

Regular Cola (not diet) is very high in sugar content. Not the best health-wise, however, it makes a good sugar base marinade. Here is my first attempt at making some beef jerky with cola. My first batch was sweet and bland, so I added some Frank's Hot Bufalo sauce, which nicely brought out a nice unique flavor. I have wanted to this for some time...... and last nite was the time!

Coka-Jerky or Jerky Cola

-One pound sliced meat 1/8 - 1/4" thick
    -One 591 ml/20 ounce Bottle Of Coca-Cola (not the sugar free stuff)

Boil the Coca-Cola in a pot, until there is about 4 ounces/120 ml left. This will be a thick syrup when it cools.

Pour about 2-3 ounces of this syrup with about one ounce of soya sauce into a cup. To this liquid, add the following:

Add 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
    1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

Put the meat in a plastic mag, add the marinade, and manipulate the bag with your fingers several times to make a nice even marinate to the meat. Marinade overnight to 24 hrs, then transfer to a dehydrater. Once in dehydrater, coat both sides with Franks hot Sauce Buffalo Chicken Wing sauce. Good luck!

Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1367 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That sounds like a keeper to me John, Thanks for sharing with us.
    ZDD
    Living the dream

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    18758 times
    Provocative pics! Yumm. When using oven i go with a couple drops of liquid smoke. And just have to use a wee bit of sweet basil.
    Sure like the cola reduction idea. Wondering about a ginger ale too. Thanks for sharing John.

us
    Oct 2010
    U.P. Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro
    124 times
    Metal Detecting
    When I use to make it I used a vacuum seal container for marinating.....It really drew the juices in.......What type of meat and meat cuts are you using....Yours sure looks good...

us
    Mr. = Ref "Gender" below

Mar 2013
    Las Cruces NM
    Garrett...old one from years ago...I forget model... puttin budet together for a new one...probably the AT pro or gold
    gettin outside
    A few shakes of tobasco or a teaspoon ot cayenne and it would be perfect!
    Yum!
    Am gonna try it.
    :-)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links