at pro beeps but no vdi

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only had my at pro about a week and been hunting exclusively in pro zero w/ 5x8 coil. I gb, have sensitivity on 1-2 bars under max, and have iron discrimination at 25. My soil gbs in the mid 80s. I've noticed a good deal of mid and high tones with no display indications. These aren't faint sounds, many good volume hits. Sometimes I can get very repeatable tones with still no vdi. I've tried raising the coil and some have persisted and some drop out the minute I pull up a few inches. I also go 90deg and still get some signals. Totally different than the very faint tones w/ no vdi. No falsing as I can shake the daylights outa her and never get a squeak. Not complaining, just trying to get a grasp on what I'm hearing / not seeing. Btw, I haven't dug any of these signals as my soil is frozen and I'm only hitting the good ones due to effort needed.

Is the machine struggling to put a read on the object resulting in no info?

Should I be digging the higher tones when they are loud and no vdi?

Anything I'm doing might cause this?

Thanks for any help provided

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest resetting the AT for the 5x8 coil. and doing a ground balance on clean soil using zero metals....items located more than 10" will not give readings.....

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I did when I put the coil on was a factory reset. Gb seems to be working fine. This isn't really an issue as I'm getting plenty of good tones to dig. Just don't want to be missing good stuff

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll always miss targets no matter what coil you use......Learn your coil and go move ahead slowly clearing a a 3" to 4" path as you move ahead and enjoy the hunt.....

krbtrans

Greenie
May 4, 2011
Only had my at pro about a week and been hunting exclusively in pro zero w/ 5x8 coil. I gb, have sensitivity on 1-2 bars under max, and have iron discrimination at 25. My soil gbs in the mid 80s. I've noticed a good deal of mid and high tones with no display indications. These aren't faint sounds, many good volume hits. Sometimes I can get very repeatable tones with still no vdi. I've tried raising the coil and some have persisted and some drop out the minute I pull up a few inches. I also go 90deg and still get some signals. Totally different than the very faint tones w/ no vdi. No falsing as I can shake the daylights outa her and never get a squeak. Not complaining, just trying to get a grasp on what I'm hearing / not seeing. Btw, I haven't dug any of these signals as my soil is frozen and I'm only hitting the good ones due to effort needed.

Is the machine struggling to put a read on the object resulting in no info?

Should I be digging the higher tones when they are loud and no vdi?

Anything I'm doing might cause this?

Thanks for any help provided

Sand, in the water or where are you swinging. Ive had higher sounding tones in the wet sand and in the water and no vdi. But it was consistent and ended up digging a couple gold ear rings 8- 10 inches deep.

clf_02

May 7, 2012
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pro manual says the machine will still gives tones according to the target even if it is deeper than the depth indicator. It says you will only hear the tone, no number and no depth. Says it means its something in that tone range really deep.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro manual says the machine will still gives tones according to the target even if it is deeper than the depth indicator. It says you will only hear the tone, no number and no depth. Says it means its something in that tone range really deep.
^^^Agree!
Also make sure your coil connector is connected to the control housing tightly and the cable is routed over the stem not under and the cable is tight to the stem all the way up.

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I have cord over shaft and have to say I'm really impressed with how much you can shake this thing.

I'm thinking I have really deep junk targets that are big thus giving a loud response. I'm going to dig a few once ground us soft enough. Doesn't make sense for a coin to be at 10"+ and have the tone strength of one at 4" just with no vdi. Prolly big pieces of aluminum siding. My house was one of last to be built on the block. Was probably the dump for all the other builders back in 64

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro goes deep, I have dug coins out well below 12", and you won't get anything on the indicator. Just recently I got a good ping with nothing on the indicator and dug deep only to find a seated liberty dime. Right now our ground is really wet and this machine is hitting some deep targets.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the video from Garrett that says that it will still give an audio signal on a deep target but no VDI number. It is also written in the manual.

Look right around 8:48 into the video.
I would also suggest watching the whole video as it is very informative.

Here is the video:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_instr1_video.aspx

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand it will hit deep. The confusing part are these beeps are loud. All air tests will diminish the tone the further I go. These signals are as loud as a 4" coin.

I tried digging one of the signals last night. Got about 10" and pinpointer wouldn't report but at pro still hit. Gave up as I didn't want to destroy the front yard with wife watching out window. Pretty sure its just big deep trash hitting high tones. No biggie, I've pulled twice as many coins out of my yard than my Bh platinum had found. Only have half the time on the pro too

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try lifting the coil 4"-8" off the ground over the target. If it still sounds off with a tone then it is a large object. Usually a buried aluminum can. The reason why the detector can pick it up even though it is beyond its normal depth limits is because the object is large.

You mentioned the tone volume didn't change. Are you in standard mode? If so the tone volume won't change. It will only get louder when closer to the object in pro mode.

If you look up how to supertune your Pinpointer on YouTube. You could get about 4" depth out of it and see if it can pick up that object in your 10" deep hole. If you really want to see what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the tones disappear once lifted. The one I dug disappeared at 3" above ground. I did tune my propointer but still nothing.
I've studied the machine carefully and feel very comfortable using it. I was just confused on the loud- no vdi high tones.
Also tried...
-Gb auto and manually
-Fresh batts
-Factory reset with new coil and batteries
-Sensitvity turned down, lost the signal I dug at 4 bars below max
-all electronics out of pockets except for pinpointer
-90deg sweep
And so on...

Again, not a concern but just curious. Ill fully dig more signals once my ground isn't so soft. Also, Ill try sweeping the one I started digging with the stock coil. Maybe that'll give me more info it it is a big deep item

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you covered all the bases and did everything possible.

I guess the only way to find out is to dig for it or just forget it and always wonder if it was a buried cache of coins. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions