Pro Pointer has to go back

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they do this time, I miss that handy tool.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have put my pointer through hell and it's works great. I get the speaker holes plugged with mud from my hands often and you can't hear it but I let it dry out and clean the speaker gently with a tooth pick then blow it with my compressor. Sorry to hear some of you have problems with your pointer. There are lots of posts on here that give you tips and tricks to using it

newport74

Aug 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx, Garrett PP,
Mine started doing this over the last couple days acts like the battery is dying even with a new one ....called for an ra to send it back. I know Ill miss it while its gone makes locating in the hole a snap when it works right.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I received mine back the first time I taped the switch, and the speakers to protect them. And since I am hard of hearing it wasn't loud enough to hear it beeping with the tape but I could feel the vibration and that worked. But it would just keep beeping/vibrating even when I would take it out of the hole. It would act like it was on its last beep; holding it high in the air and the only way to correct it was to turn it off then back on. And once you did that the hole you were digging would now be silent. What the hell??? Now to be clear for two months it worked flawlessly, I don't dig with it I simply put it in the hole to find my target or I will move it through the soil on my towel to locate the target. I never got it wet, so I have no idea what is wrong with it. At this point I hope Garrett ships me off a New one; it's annoying not to have it on the hunt, especially for those small items I can't see. LOL!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I'm glad from seeing all the posts here that even though I do have a pro pointer I chose to also get a sunray I heard they never brake down & if I do have to put my pro pointer in the shop I won't be lost without having nothing to pin point

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I received mine back the first time I taped the switch, and the speakers to protect them. And since I am hard of hearing it wasn't loud enough to hear it beeping with the tape but I could feel the vibration and that worked. But it would just keep beeping/vibrating even when I would take it out of the hole. It would act like it was on its last beep; holding it high in the air and the only way to correct it was to turn it off then back on. And once you did that the hole you were digging would now be silent. What the hell??? Now to be clear for two months it worked flawlessly, I don't dig with it I simply put it in the hole to find my target or I will move it through the soil on my towel to locate the target. I never got it wet, so I have no idea what is wrong with it. At this point I hope Garrett ships me off a New one; it's annoying not to have it on the hunt, especially for those small items I can't see. LOL!
I'm in the same boat,with badpenny! I'm old,and can't see,or hear as well as I used too! The pro Pointer has saved me a lot of time,finding targets. Mine almost seems to be working too well!:laughing7: A lot of times when I stick it down in the hole it will go off so much I can't really tell where the target is.:dontknow: So I place the tip down by the hole where it's beeping slowly,shut it off,then turn it back on,and the range is reduced. Then it has to almost touch the target to sound off. Works great!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rks1949, I tried that too, it made no difference. It would barely beep, but it would do it continuously, like it was an effort to beep. I equate it to it gasping for its last breath, it wanted to beep but didn't have the strength to do so. I changed the battery, checked the battery on the meter, all was good. The day I called to return it was the day I dug a deep hole and after removing the battery and putting it back in the hole it was silent. Now that was just wrong; I'm old, and I didn't need to waste my time on an empty hole. No, I didn't swing over it with the detector; I had the Pro Pointer, live and learn.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've also got a Fisher F1 pointer (as a back up) incase the Pro Pointer ever has to be sent in. The F1 works well,but just doesn't have the depth the Pro Pointer has. You have to almost touch the target for it to sound off! That may not be a bad thing though,when you think about it?

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was acting nuts...beeping at nothing...at pushing dirt w no metal in it...or not at all til I turned it off n back on, or gave it a little love tap against the ground... Ended up changing the battery...saw that it had wiggle room in the housing...wrapped the battery w tape, put w piece of cardboard on the end...sealed it up tight, works like a million bucks... Gl n HH

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read someone else used duct tape on theirs and it worked good. Funny mine worked perfect for two months before it started acting nuts. So I don't think tape would have helped. But if it acts up when I get it back I will give it a try. I will tape it back up when it arrives, I just can't get used to using it in a plastic bag. So tape it is... I will have it tomorrow and weather permitting I will get out for an hour or so to do a little hunting.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just simply pop a quarter inside the battery cap and secure, no excessive force required. That's all it takes.

I read someone else used duct tape on theirs and it worked good. Funny mine worked perfect for two months before it started acting nuts. So I don't think tape would have helped. But if it acts up when I get it back I will give it a try. I will tape it back up when it arrives, I just can't get used to using it in a plastic bag. So tape it is... I will have it tomorrow and weather permitting I will get out for an hour or so to do a little hunting.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's out for delivery or so the UPS site says and reviewing all the tracking I will guess they just sent me a New one; they received mine last Wednesday and shipped out the same day so I assume it wasn't fixed just replaced. I still think it was a board issue; it worked flawlessly for two months, then it went south. The first time they replaced the coil, and that didn't correct the problem so I would guess it was electronic in nature. I can't wait to use it and I will tape it up again just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary it arrived and as soon as I get a few things done, I think I may go swing before it gets to hot. I'll let you know how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread