Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of tips and advice on this forum about the AT-Pro. Just go to the search section of the forum and type in ATP or AT-Pro.
There is also a Garrett section of the forum.

Look on Garrett's website. They have a video training section with tons of free videos on the AT-Pro that you just click and watch on your computer.

The AT-Pro is a great piece of equipment.
Have fun with the machine and learn how to use it properly and it will reward you.

Last edited:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Garrett has some nice videos...The At Pro's owner's manual is also very useful, read through it a couple of times.....I take mine along when I hunt and review it when I decide to have a lunch a break....

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Swing slow and listen for repeatable tones. If possible I would learn the machine in pro mode. Listen to the machine first and use the vdi(numbers) as a suggestion. If the machine acts erratic around power lines etc. , change the frequency on the machine. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to hitting some streams down y the ol mills and the rock foundations on some acreage behind my ol house.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I love you At Pro guys, keeps my park clean. Let us know what you find.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn the tones, do a Google search for VDI Numbers for AT Pro and use it as a reference too. I think there is a thread on this site with in on but I am not sure. And watch those Garrett videos to learn how to distinguish metal when you have an iffy sound. You'll like the machine, I do.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to carry a telescoping magnet so you can easily pick up all the bottle caps too.

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to carry a telescoping magnet so you can easily pick up all the bottle caps too.
Casca, Thanks for your sarcastic input, much appreciated. I'd be more then happy to swing that Fisher F75 but the price tag tickling a grand is a lil more then Id like to spend, especially for something thats going to lean in the corner more then swing in the field. I did consider the F5DD but waterproof was a big seller for me. So, Thank you anyway for your ill-fated attempt of advice on my new machine, if you dont like what I have chosen then so be it, take your BS else where

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touchy arent we. I was giving you very good advice, and my detector choice has nothing to do with a At Pro. There is nothing wrong with a At Pro at all, I just did not get the help you have in your decision, so I bought the F75. You have a very good detector at a good price. I do wonder if the hype on tv has claimed another victim is all. Good luck with your new hobby. Im done with new tips and advice.

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How well does this machine work at night? Does the screen light up?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works the same at night as it does in the day. ;)
Unfortunately, the screen does not light up for night hunting.
To overcome that little setback I use one of those lights that clip on the brim of my hat.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touchy arent we. I was giving you very good advice, and my detector choice has nothing to do with a At Pro. There is nothing wrong with a At Pro at all, I just did not get the help you have in your decision, so I bought the F75. You have a very good detector at a good price. I do wonder if the hype on tv has claimed another victim is all. Good luck with your new hobby. Im done with new tips and advice.

You did seem a little snarky, but I enjoyed your comment. I use my AT Pro when I'm in water/bad weather, or if my E-trac is making my arm fall off. It WILL sniff out those bottle caps like nobody's business, so you were quite relevant. Still, hype aside, she was my first, and she does me well.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would advise taking it to a park, or somewhere you can find lots of modern coins, or "clad." That's what I did and it helped me learn the machine pretty quickly. Then when you get on some seriously old sites, you are prepared, and I alwyas like digging money, even if it's new!

The VDI numbers are a big help, and you should try to learn/read those ASAP. I hunt with my daughter too, it's great fun!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck!

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It works the same at night as it does in the day. ;)
Unfortunately, the screen does not light up for night hunting.
To overcome that little setback I use one of those lights that clip on the brim of my hat.

Ah alright. Would you guys recommend this for shoreline and little bit in the water at the beach?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did seem a little snarky, but I enjoyed your comment. I use my AT Pro when I'm in water/bad weather, or if my E-trac is making my arm fall off. It WILL sniff out those bottle caps like nobody's business, so you were quite relevant. Still, hype aside, she was my first, and she does me well.
The At Pro is comparable to many more expensive detectors because of it Iron Discrimination. The reason it hunts bottle caps so well is its a very good relic hunter. Bottle caps just dont know their place. But any knowledge anyone has who doesnt own a AT Pro is not wanted here, seems you guys have all the answers. Good Luck with that.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At Pro is comparable to many more expensive detectors because of it Iron Discrimination. The reason it hunts bottle caps so well is its a very good relic hunter. Bottle caps just dont know their place. But any knowledge anyone has who doesnt own a AT Pro is not wanted here, seems you guys have all the answers. Good Luck with that.

Agreed, I'm fairly new this rodeo, but I've seen a lot of brand/machine loyalty on these boards, to the point that people take offense when mentioning any cons about machines that have already been proven. I'm happy with my machines, but I don't really know any different! :laughing7:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand some of these posters. What's with the bottle cap fetish?????? Please advise; I'm stumped. If I swing over an item which I believe is a bottle cap by the sound, remember I am in Pro Mode, I turn on the audio and hear the sound of crap, I move on. What the hell am I missing? This bottle cap crap is getting old very fast already. If you don't know how to use a machine go to the bank and get a few rolls of coins and hunt them... I dug the last three days, and I didn't dig one cap... Who knows maybe there wasn't any there either. Wow... some people just don't get it, do they.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My best advice with the AT Pro.... don't tell anybody here you bought one LOL...:censored:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ah alright. Would you guys recommend this for shoreline and little bit in the water at the beach?
It's good in saltwater set the ground balance down to about a 20 if I recall - It only works as good as a PI machine in salt water(not much discrimation) but it's ok. Up on the dry sand you can use the auto balance and the discrimination/identification whatever works better. We have alot of rust chips on the beaches of south west Florida and picks them out very well, the ping is about a 28 to 38 but on the other hand I pinged a big stainless steel pocket knife the other day at about a 45 and was a nice find. Older bottle caps can be a problem but new ones will show a 38 to 43 where a really corroded can ping higher, maybe 48 and that will cause me to dig. The big coil is difficult to sway back an forth in the water so I like to use my Mark II in and under water with the 8 in coil. The pin pointer doesn't work in the water or even in wet sand but works great up on the dry sand. Use the custom pro mode and watch numbers the audio not very reliable. I haven't used mine alot but I can definitely say I don't hate it at this point and as you use it you'll learn it but you do have alot of digging of you to get used to the machine. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread