at pro depth question

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, just ten min ago...I got a 99 vdi, and a 43 6" away from the 99 and a 57 six inches the other way, and a 13 and 0 also beside it...I dug my plug, made it a beast so I could get em all....well, I got the nail, and the door hinge, and the nickel...but the 99 and 43 were still in there....so I kept diggin...and diggin...and I swear to god I was DAMN near two ft deep...no silver in sight or picked up by propointer as close....it got dark and I had to throw in the towel...so to my ?, could there REALLY b something good THAT far down and the atp able to pick it up?...I'm going to dig it again tomorrow...but I was just curious if anyone else has found something over a foot deep...or two foot...

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience with my AT Pro, except for the other signals. Had a strong 99 registering 4-6" down. Didn't seem possible that it could be a silver coin, as I dug 12" and nothing. Turned out to be a large metal sheet around 24". Have you tried raising your coil well above the ground? This will likely let you know that the target is larger.

OP
OP
bush13st_beav3r

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes, I do that to check if its a can or not....ground balanced and everything..lowered sen1, then 2, then 3 bars when I went down 4 lost the signal...went back up...n there it was clear as a bell...I'm going to dig tomorrow til it doesn't ding nemore...even if I hit China n the process

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug deep with mine, but not as deep as you. My guess it is a big iron plate or something. Last week I had a strong signal and started to dig and when I was about a foot and swung over the hole again, there was the ping, and then I remembers I was digging over a drainage pipe, and I assume that was my signal so I filled my hole in and moved on. I will be interested to read what you find, but I don't think the machine can go that deep but I can be wrong, won't be the first time.

Dug nothing but junk yesterday, but I still enjoyed it. LOL! That's when you know you got it bad.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• NRA5.JPG
    NRA5.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
OP
OP
bush13st_beav3r

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, no. It's at my house...at parks I don't take my spade, just pop em w a screwdriver or make a slit, pop it out, then stomp the seam...I do those methods any place where ppl are frequenting

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes the target is in the side of the hole and you can dig past it. this is where the pro pointer comes in handy

OP
OP
bush13st_beav3r

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have one...I dug out the sides too... I have been reading a LOT since this deep dig, and have heard that 99vdi targets are junk....but, Idk....I'm still going to redig it the first chance I get and find what's throwing my bell tone...but, after I patched my plug back in, the next day I had 5 min, so I ran out n rescanned the area, and it was beeping bout 3" to the north of my plug...so I must not have dug out that inside that well...shame on me

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes a really big iron target can cause an overload which will give a 99 reading.go and dig it out , you know you wont rest till you do!! happy digging steve

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I all ways put a 12 inch cast iron pan on the ground and air test my detector over it just to get an idea on the depth on large targets
iron being rust should have the same effect in the air
as in the ground
if the at pro doesn't put you on your belly digging arms length leaning in and
all most falling in the hole you dug
get rid of it

OP
OP
bush13st_beav3r

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've both sold me....after work, I'm ditching my spade, and getting a shovel... I WILL find what's there...when I find it, it'll probably b iron....but if I dig a few inches more I may strike oil... I'm super impressed w depth of the atp compared to my 250... Very happy w my purchase

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've both sold me....after work, I'm ditching my spade, and getting a shovel... I WILL find what's there...when I find it, it'll probably b iron....but if I dig a few inches more I may strike oil... I'm super impressed w depth of the atp compared to my 250... Very happy w my purchase

That's the large DD coil on the ATP getting you that depth - pinpointing is a bit tough with one though - it's not like a concentric/round type coil

you'll like the AT after using that 250 :-)

I use mine for water hunting mostly - they do fairly good on tiny targets for a 15 kHz machine

let us know how your dig to china turns out!

HH and good luck - hope it's a silver dollar or something!

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a target last week on the beach, that I thought the AT Pro was falsing.
I had a 79 hitting solid, showing 4 inches.
I kept digging until the handle of my raptor was below the surface. The sand at this point got wet and was starting to cave in.
Curiosity got the best of me, so I kept digging and sniffing with my probe. I wish I had measured, but, I know I got this penny out at over 14 inches. It could have slid in with the sand but I kept checking every time I took sand out of the hole.

Roy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I all ways put a 12 inch cast iron pan on the ground and air test my detector over it just to get an idea on the depth on large targets
iron being rust should have the same effect in the air
as in the ground
if the at pro doesn't put you on your belly digging arms length leaning in and
all most falling in the hole you dug
get rid of it
...Liftloop .... With my AT Pro i dug a dime at 47 inches..........

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Liftloop .... With my AT Pro i dug a dime at 47 inches..........

Hey Keppy

you wanna sell that machine!?

Mine only hits dimes at 46 inches! :laughing7:

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
Two smalls equal one big???

Using the big DD coil, I had a REALLY good signal that I just knew had to be a really DEEP treasure. Having dug to nearly armpit deep, I called my buddy over who had a small DD coil. He found two small targets around the rim of the hole. The two targets just happened to be the width of the big coil...
Yup, two small targets LOOKED like a big target. Had I backed up and just used the tip of the coil to scan around the perimeter of the hole I would have found the two small targets. Ah well, live and learn...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Keppy

you wanna sell that machine!?

Mine only hits dimes at 46 inches! :laughing7:
..lone.. i have to keep this AT ... I could never sell it...i would never find another like it.......

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keppy your a riot

if the at pro can't find a two foot around and twenty foot long Calvert
at four feet get ride of it your wasting your time out in the field
get a 5900 di pro that will do the job...

liftloop

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
keppy your a riot

if the at pro can't find a two foot around and twenty foot long Calvert
at four feet get ride of it your wasting your time out in the field
get a 5900 di pro that will do the job...

liftloop
...liftllop.... Is that one of those Whites.......Do they still make those whits.?? Whits .. oops .. i meant Whites.....But i find dimes at 47 inches did i say inches i meant feet....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were this new Garret that's s-post to be out
any news

liftloop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread